This post may contain affiliate links.
Sometimes you just need some comfort food. If that food is topped with cheese and chips, so much the better. Since I’m trying to take off my post pregnancy weight, I cut down on the amount of cheese (just enough to dust over the top) and chips (a small handful).
The chili was already pretty healthy, and I found that I didn’t miss the extra chips and cheese. I also chose to top the chili with the chips, rather than going the traditional route of putting the chili over the chips, because it kept the chips from getting soggy.
I’ve included directions for preparing this in the crock pot or on the stove. Either way, this Frito Chili Pie is a delicious, easy dinner!
- 1 and 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 3 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 (8 oz.) can tomato sauce
- 1 (15 oz.) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (10 oz.) Ro-tel, undrained
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. ground oregano
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1-2 T. chili powder (more or less to taste)
- 1 T. chipotle Tabasco sauce
- 1 (14 oz.) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/4 c. corn meal
- 1/2 c. warm water
- 1 bag of Fritos
- grated sharp cheddar cheese, sour cream, lettuce, or any other desired toppings
- Brown ground beef in a pot over medium-high heat.
- Drain ground beef, and add garlic to ground beef. Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- To make in the crockpot, add browned ground beef to 5 qt or larger crockpot with tomato sauce, Rotel, salt, oregano, cumin, chili powder, Tabasco, and beans. Stir to combine.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 3-4 hours before serving stir.
- Add in cornmeal and water, if necessary.
- Cover, and cook an additional 30-60 minutes.
- To make on the stovetop, add tomato sauce, Rotel, salt, oregano, cumin, chili powder, Tabasco, and beans to the browned ground beef. Stir to combine.
- Cover and let simmer, stirring occasionally, for at least 1 hour.
- Mix corn meal with water, and then add to the chili. Stir to combine and simmer for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
- I like to top my chili with the Fritos so that they stay crunchy, but you can top Fritos with chili. Add any other desired toppings, and enjoy!
adapted from momswithcrockpots.com