Flourless Fudge Cookies

Flourless Fudge Cookies Follow Me on Pinterest

Raspberries were on sale here. For some reason, when I eat raspberries, I need some chocolate to go with them. I couldn’t decide between cookies and brownies, so I made these Flourless Fudge Cookies. They are light and crisp at the edges, like a meringue cookies. The centers are rich and fudgy like a brownie. And at 68 calories each, these cookies are lighter than most cookies. They also don’t take much time at all to make. I whipped these up while the oven was preheating, and they were ready when it was ready.

Flourless Fudge Cookies

3 c. powdered sugar
3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 tsp. salt
4 large egg whites
1 T. pure vanilla extract
1/2 c. semisweet mini chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  2. Line two baking sheets with silicone baking mats. Spray mats with nonstick cooking spray. You can also line with parchment paper.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together the powdered sugar with cocoa powder and salt.
  4. Stir in the vanilla and egg whites.
  5. Whisk just until the batter is moistened.
  6. Stir in the chocolate chips.
  7. Scoop the batter by the tablespoonful onto the baking sheets. Leave enough space between each cookie for them to spread (about 2 ½ ” of space between each cookie).
  8. Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the tops are glossy and lightly cracked.
  9. Let the cookies cool completely on the baking sheet, and store in an airtight container for up to 3 days.

Adapted from chocolateandcarrots.com

Comments

I just made this recipe and I loved it! I used 2.5 cups of sugar and three egg whites. Also, instead of the chocolate chips, I cut up Dove dark chocolates (because I didn’t have any chips). I absolutely adore this recipe and wondered if I could repost it on my blog? Thanks!
    -Beth

Hi Beth,

I’m glad you liked it! Sure! =) It sounds like you adapted the recipe, so please feel free to post your adaptation along with your pictures on your site.

2. Scaryclowngirl says

Ok, so this is a great cookie recipe! I changed it up a little bit though. I thought 3 cups sugar was too much so i added only one cup (witch was still to sweet for me) and i put in only 2 egg whites instead of 4. Then the last 2 modifications i made was adding peppermint extract instead of vanilla and excluding the chocolate chips. They came out awesome with great chocolate mint flavor! but they are not crackly like the picture you showed, that’s probably because i didn’t follow the recipe lol
    Thank’s for this recipe :)

3. Sara says

I randomly stumbled upon this recipe, and boy am I glad that I did! These are very similar to my favorite cookies from the bakery at Whole Foods that I crave all the time! I love the richness of the cookie to where you don’t have to eat half of the batch to get that sweet fix. Just one with a glass of milk is just about perfect :)! And the consistency seemed just about right to me. I used the 4 egg whites and I thought it turned out fine. My only problem was not having the patience to wait for them to cool!!! Thank you for this recipe!

I’m so glad that you liked the cookies and that they worked out for you! Thanks for taking the time to come back and leave a comment!! =)

4. Jaime says

I made these the other night and realized quickly that my 4 egg whites was way too many! I used the liquid form. Although my husband loved the flavor so I attempted them again tonight. I used the equivalent to less than 3 whites and they still came out flat – but still delicious! What am I doing wrong?? (Note: I did use the silicone mats and all other instructions followed)
    I want to make these like your picture – thanks for any help!

I haven’t tried using liquid egg whites. I think they tend to be harder to work with (I know they’re supposed to be a substitute, but I swear they have water in them). Although, from all of the comments I’ve gotten, it seems like egg whites just tend to vary. So, I’d try starting off with, maybe, 2 egg whites and then going from there. Since the batter is basically egg whites, sugar, and cocoa, it’s a wetter, thinner consistency than a flour-based cookie. Another thing is to let them cool completely before removing them from the cookie sheet. They get more of the cracker appearance as they sit and cool.

So, just as benchmark for comparison purposes – my cookies are about 1/4 of an inch thick. They are thinner than, say, a normal chocolate chip cookie. I hope that helps!

5. Ashley Kate says

I cut this recipe in half, used half powdered sugar with half Splenda powdered sugar, added about 1 or 2 T hot chocolate powder, and added peanut butter morsels. Since the batter was a smidge runny, I decided to make them into cupcakes instead. They were a hit!!!

6. Kelly says

Sadly these turned out to be a sickly sweet, sticky mess. Way too runny and couldn’t get them off the silpat without breaking into pieces. I’ve never had anything else stick to my silpat! Won’t be making these again :(

It sounds like something went wrong when you made these cookies. Some people have said that they’ve reduced the number of egg whites to 3 and have had more success that way. Since you said the batter was very runny, I’m guessing the extra egg white was the behind them being too runny and too sticky.

7. Tracey says

So glad I stumbled upon this recipe! My co-workers and I always get the afternoon munchies for something sweet, and this was pretty guilt-free…much better than the giant cookies at the cafe next door! Just to add to the egg convo… I used 3 egg whites and it was the perfect consistency. Ready to check out your website for other fun new recipes!

I’m glad you found it, too! =) And I’m glad that you found the right amount of egg. Thanks for taking the time to leave a comment!

8. Angie says

I made these tonight for “food day” at work. I have a gluten-free coworker so I thought I would fix something she could indulge in. I have 3 words… OH MY WORD! These are awesome. I had no issues with them being runny. In fact, I only did 3 egg whites like most comments said, and ended up adding the 4th egg white because the batter was too dry. I sprayed my cookie sheets with olive oil spray and let them cool completely like you said. They came right off with very little effort. It made 30 cookies for me (and I was shocked at how big they spread out). I plugged it into Weight Watchers, and using my brand ingredients, they are only 2 pp+ each! Thank you for my new favorite cookie recipe!

I’m so glad that you liked them!! Thanks so much for taking the time to come back and leave this comment. It made my morning. =)

9. Laura Fountain says

I tried to put the cookies on the liner to bake and they were still running into each other. So instead, I greased a pie pan and put all of the batter into the pan and made a cookie pie. I had to bake it for 12 minutes instead but so far from the taste test it tasted amazing. I made this recipe for my health and fitness support group and it seems like its a good way to indulge a little without all the extra calories that normal cookies give. A good sweet treat every once in a while that won’t demolish a diet. Do you know how many carbs this recipe has?

I’m glad the pie pan worked! Thanks for the tip!
      I’m not sure how many carbs are in the cookies. I just use an online nutritional calculator to find out the info on my recipes. It sounds like 4 egg whites may be too much for some people; you could try 3 next time, and that may help. =)

Hi, just wondering how many cookies the recipe usually makes? These sound delicious! With regards to sticking problems perhaps beating the egg whites until they are light would help?

Thanks! The recipe makes 34 cookies when I make them.

It seems like the sticking issue may have to do with the amount of egg white. I don’t know if the size of “large” eggs varies, but the extra egg white (3 vs. 4) seems to be an issue for some people. If you beat the egg whites, you’re going to end up with something that’s more like a meringue cookie. I’m sure it would be tasty, but it may not have the fudgy texture that these cookies have. Good luck! =)

11. Jenn says

These were really good. I made a few changes after reading some comments: I used 2.5 cups of sugar, I added walnuts instead of chocolate chips, I sprayed the parchment paper, and I used 2 small whole eggs (I can’t bear to throw food stuff out and I don’t see me using the yolks for anything). The cookies looked like the picture and did not stick. I wish they were a little less sweet but they tasted just like brownies. My husband and son (who typically don’t like chocolate cookies) loved them. Thank you!

Thanks for the tips! It’s good to know that they’ll come out using whole eggs, too. And the walnuts sound like a great addition! I’ll have to try that next time. =)

12. Casie says

I tried making these today and though I followed the directions to a “t”, they came out incredibly flat and stuck to the parchment paper. The taste was good (had to scrape them off of the parchment paper with a spoon) but they didn’t look nearly as pretty as the picture shown. Any idea what my problem was? :/

Some people have said that they’ve needed to reduce the amount of egg whites from 4 to 3. I’m not sure if that would help, but it might be worth a try!

I’m so glad that you and your kids liked the cookies!! Thanks for taking the time to come back and let me know! =)

13. Anisa says

These are a fantastic! Especially if you have a craving & just need a little to satisfy your craving. I cut the recipe in half & only used one egg white & they turned out great. Will definitely keep this recipe to make in the future

14. Erika says

These turned out great! The batter was gooey so was spectical but followed through! Amazing results!

15. Melissa says

I just tried making these and for some reason they didn’t go well at all!

I wanted to experiment so I only used enough for a few cookies…1 cup sugar and only 2 egg whites etc.

The batter I used was incredibly runny and the cookies just turned into one giant lump.

I might try these again soon but use different quantities.

I could see that ratio ending up with a runny batter. If you want to try it with 1 cup of sugar, I’d suggest starting with 1 egg white and then adding in additional egg white as needed. If you try it with the quantities as written, you may want to try 3 egg whites and then go from there.

Good luck! If you have any questions, please let me know!

16. Nancy Y says

Have you ever whipped the eggs to soft peaks before adding to the other ingredients? Wondering how that would work.

I haven’t tried it. I would guess that it’d make the cookies more meringue-like, but I’d be interested to hear how it works out if you try it!

• De Anna Twigg says

Wanted to let you know that I did do this the first time and then the second and third time I just put the egg whites straight into the chocolate and powdered sugar. It made no difference in the consistency. Let me say it’s easier to just add them straight in.
      The third time I also added crushed walnuts to the mixture. It was a hit! My husband says that these cookies are like the edge of brownies, so they are the best!

That’s good to know! I’ve always made the recipe as it’s written, and I’ve always had the cookies turn out, so I’ve never tried it any other way. The crushed walnuts sound like a delicious addition! I love walnuts or pecans in my brownies, so I’ll have to try that next time. =)

17. Jami R. says

I see it says there are 68 calories per cookie, can you tell me how much fat and sugar are in each serving as well?

This is according to the nutrition calculator that I used (per serving) – 1.1 grams of fat and 12.5 grams of sugar.
      Hope that helps!

18. Kate says

I have never commented on anything before, but I just wanted share my enthusiasm for these cookies. I follow a strict gluten-free and dairy-free lifestyle, and I am so happy to have found a recipe like this that doesn’t require any special substitutions- just regular pantry ingredients. I live in a small town in Southern Africa and am very limited to what I can eat because specialty foods are almost non-existent here. My cookies turned out perfectly and looked just as expected. I sprayed my baking paper first and had zero problems. Wonderful recipe!

Thanks so much! I have lived in small towns, so I know how that can be. I’m really glad that you enjoyed the cookies!! =)

I just made these, they were so easy to make, I followed the recipe to a T but I whisked the egg whites and vanilla together before adding them to the dry mixture and I baked one batch on a Silpat and one on parchment and neither cookies stuck. I all used a small cookie scoop for uniform cookies and they turned out perfect! I will definitely be using this recipe again.

20. Katharina says

I just made your cookies. First batch turned out a bit thin. I probably should have followed the comments and left out one of the egg whites. For the second batch I added peanut butter, and they look more like your picture. Both batches taste divine though. Thank you for the recipe.

I’ve always thought that egg sizes were pretty standard (i.e. a large egg was a large egg), but this recipe makes me wonder.

I’m glad that adding peanut butter worked. I’m sure that was a delicious addition! =)

21. Sal says

Hello Kate!
    Thank you for the recipe, the cookies were heavenly!
    I did have the sticking to the parchment issue too even though I incorporated the whites slowly, I guess it’s the same with all the recipes with an important amount of sugar, the sugar cooks into the paper.
    But there’s a solution, I put the parchment on some boiling water and the steam made the cookies came off like magic.
    Anyways, thank you, this recipe is a keeper!

22. Alix says

These are delicious. Thank you for sharing the recipe Kate :)
    Here are my feedbacks. I used 4 large egg whites and added them all at once. The dough was very runny to the point they were just pools of batter on the baking sheets. The cookies did come out shiny with some cracklings though they looked nothing like yours, more like flat crisp like some other reviewers. The cookies were slightly crispy around the edges and very moist in the middle, tasting more like brownies.
    Also I did cut back on the sugar to 2.5 cup which was still plenty of sweetness. I will definitely try again but this time add the egg whites one at time. I think my eggs must be larger than yours and probably only need 3 like some of the reviewers here.

Thanks again.

Thanks! My cookies are usually crisp at the edges (sort of like a meringue cookie), but they’re soft and chewy in the middle, so it sounds like your cookies were pretty right on consistency-wise. I hope cutting back to 3 egg whites helps next time, though! =)

Great recipe! Thanks for sharing. I used 2.5 cups of psugar and they came out delicious. Great treat with my morning coffee. =)

I tried to make these, but the were so loose ,I had to make them into a cake. I used eggbeater’s egg whites…maybe that was too many eggs whites. I will try it again with regular eggs the next time.

I’ve never tried them with Eggbeaters, but I’m sorry to hear that they were too runny. I’ve gotten some feedback saying that cutting back to 3 egg whites has helped, so maybe that would work next time?

24. Lindsay Triplitt says

OMG!! I just made these for the first time, and they were absolutely perfect! My eggs were a little on the small side so I added an extra white and they were fantastic, and the stickiness on the bottom goes away as long as you let them cool all the way before you pull them off the parchment. I’ll be making these often!! Thanks for posting!!!

I haven’t tried it with a sugar substitute. I just received a comment from someone who used Splenda, though (it should be the comment right below yours), so you may find her comments helpful.

25. Elisabeth says

Just made this recipe today. I swapped Splenda for powdered sugar, and used three egg whites instead of four. I added each egg white individually. When I did that, the dough seemed plenty wet after three, so I omitted the fourth egg. I also lightly oiled the cookie sheets. I left out the chocolate chips. The first batch did not spread at all while baking, and did not crack. It’s cool and dry where I am (the Oregon Coast) so I don’t know if humidity or lack of it had to do with that, or the fact that I used Splenda instead of powdered sugar. They did not look like the picture, but my partner, who is on the Atkins diet, LOVED THEM. The second batch I flattened before baking and they turned out perfect (no cracks still.) The recipe made 16 cookies ( I followed the tablespoon size suggestion.) The taste is great!

Thank you for leaving your comment! I’ve gotten a few questions about using a sugar substitute, but I’ve never tried it with a substitute. So, thank you for sharing your experience with it!

26. Brittany says

So, I followed the advice to add the egg whites slowly as people suggested in the comments. Even still, my cookies came out NOTHING like the picture. They were much more like giant thin chocolate cookie crisps, kind of like Brownie Brittle. That being said…they were still delicious (how could any combination of sugar and chocolate not be). The flavor is not too complex..just sweet, which is alright. I added a thin swipe of peanut butter to one and…oh my … DIVINE.

Summary: even if the texture is wonky, you can’t go wrong with chocolate and sugar. Deal with it, add peanut butter, enjoy.

I’m sorry that the cookies came out like giant cookie crisps, but I’m glad you were able to save them with some peanut butter! That sounds like a delicious addition! =)

27. Kristi says

Just made these today, turned out perfect. I added the egg whites in slowly while stirring. Thanks for sharing this easy & delicious recipe!

I made these for a wine tasting party and for a gluten free friend. They were a HUGE hit and everyone keeps asking me to make them for other events. I had no problem with them sticking, as long as used parchment paper on a baking sheet. Thanks for the delicious recipe!

29. Cheryl says

@ Lior— there is 110 grams to 1 cup…so that means there would be 330 grams for the 3 cups…

Hi everyone!!

Just thought I had to add that, I attempted these cookies today and, (like a few others) they turned out a tad too gooey and were difficult to remove from the baking tray. HOWEVER, I do believe that the issue may be caused by the adding stage of the egg whites. When mixing in the egg whites add a little bit gradually, mix it in fully and repeat until the consistency is like a typical cookie dough texture. When it reaches this stage the mixture shouldn’t be too runny or too tough.

I made this mistake against my better judgement and, with much appreciation to this site and the recipe, I aim for this post to help others to bake sweet perfection :)

I’m not sure why some people are having issues with gooey/sticky cookies and others aren’t. If your tip helps people avoid that, then that’s great! =)

Hey, maybe we need to whisk the egg white to a stable cream before we mix it with the powdered sugar with cocoa powder….?

You could certainly try that, but I’m not sure what the effect would be. You may end up with something that’s a lot more crispy and meringue-like. If you try it, please let me know how it works out.

• Amy says

I had my cookies way too sticky too! I followed the recipe exactly. I was disappointed. I like the person’s ideas of adding egg whites in slowly. Maybe my eggs were bigger than the person who make the original recipe?

I’ve used large eggs with the recipe, and I’ve never had sticky cookies. If you used extra-large eggs that might affect the stickiness, though. You could certainly try adding in the egg whites slowly. Like I said, I’ve made this recipe quite a few times, and I’ve never had sticky cookies, so I’m not sure what the difference is.

• Kim Bean says

Looking through these comments, one thing comes to mind.
          It sounds like maybe the ovens are the difference.
          You might want to try turning the cookie sheet half way through cooking time
          for even cooking and less/no sticking :)

I think you’re right that the differences in oven temperatures could be part of the problem. That’s a great tip! I hope it helps the people who are having issues with sticking! =)

31. Jane says

Yum!!! I am still baking these, but had to try one from the first tray!! Love the chewiness and fudge middle!! Delicious and so easy to make, thank you for posting the recipe!!

Hi Katie! Just wanted to let you know that I just made these cookies and had no problems with sticking! Loved them! Right up my chocolate alley :). -Naureen

33. Rebecca says

Hey, could you tell me roughly how many cookies this makes you for when you bake them? I’m an avid calorie counter so I wanted to know what size the 68 calories was for, more or less.
    Thank you, amazing recipe! xxx

Sure! If you use 1 tablespoon of batter for each cookie, then the recipe makes 32 cookies. Hope you enjoy then!! =)

Yes, I use c for cup. Sorry, but I’m not sure how many grams there would be in 3 cups of powdered sugar. I don’t have a kitchen scale to weigh the powered sugar on, so I’m not comfortable giving you an amount.

Thank you for the quick response!
        Can you tell me the size of the cup? it’s for a pregnant friend of mine, she can’t wait! :)

Hey Lior – a cup is a unit of measure – just like a gram or pound. (its also used to describe the thing we put tea in which is why you might be confused!).

My suggestion would be to just google the conversion of cups to grams.
          I have Gordon Ramsay’s last cookbook and that’s what I have to do for every recipe since he uses grams and I have no measuring utensils that have grams!

Good Luck!

I used a 1 cup measuring cup. The reason I was hesitant to tell you grams is that I’ve never made the recipe by weight. I hope that it will work, and if you have any questions as you’re making the recipe, please feel free to ask!

34. Leslie says

Tried these tonight and from what I was able to scrape off the parchment they tasted good. I used nonstick parchment and I’ve never had anything stick to it before, but these were impossible to get off. I now have a delicious mound of brownie like mush.

I’ve never had them stick to the parchment either. I have had them stick with silicone baking mats, which is why I suggest spraying those with nonstick cooking spray, but I’ve never had that issue with parchment paper. I guess you could try nonstick spray with the parchment paper. Were they still wet at all? I’m wondering whether they needed to bake for another minute or two. They should be crisp like a meringue at the edges and then chewy in the center like a brownie.

Mine were very runny too and didn’t make cookies. Is it a tsp of vanilla or tablespoon because I see two different things T and tsp. Pregnant celiac momma is so disappointed right now! :(!

I’m sorry that yours were runny, too. I haven’t heard about any issues with the batter being too runny until yesterday, so I’m not sure why people are having trouble with that now. I use T. for tablespoon and tsp. for teaspoon in my recipes.

Since the batter doesn’t have any flour in it, it isn’t like a traditional cookie dough. When you say that it didn’t make cookies, do you mean that they didn’t bake? If that is the case, oven temperatures can very quite a bit, so you may just need to bake them a little longer. I’ve looked in on mine while they’re baking, and they do look sort of like chocolate pools while they’re baking, but they always bake into cookies.

36. Heather says

I followed everything exactly, but the dough was runny and the cookies were paper thin and looked nothing like the picture :( from what I was able to scrap off the pan, the flavor was great!! But I don’t know where I went wrong???? Any suggestions? Thanks!!

These cookies don’t have a thick dough like a traditional cookie, but it shouldn’t be really runny either. I’m not really sure why they didn’t turn out. Maybe you could try adding a little bit more powdered sugar to help thicken it up, but I’ve never had the cookies do that, so I’m sorry that I can’t give you more specific advice.

Did you line the pans with parchment or silicone baking mats with nonstick spray? I’ve never had trouble getting the cookies off of either of those. Otherwise, they have so little fat that they will stick to the pan.

• Dacia says

Mine also did this. If I baked long I was able to get them off the pan but paper thin. Tasty but I’m wondering what went wrong. Maybe it’s in the whisking as adding the egg whites??

I’m not really sure. As long as I use parchment paper and make them the way the recipe directs, I haven’t had any issues with the cookies being too thin or sticking. The cookies are thin, though, maybe about 1/4-inch thick. So, they are thinner than normal cookies.

37. Kristen Jeffrey says

This recipe sounds amazing! Can’t wait to try them :)
    Do you think they’d be good with regular vs mini chocolate chips?

Thanks!! I think it would work just fine with regular chips. I would probably sprinkle them over the top, though. The cookie batter is pretty lights, so the regular chips might try to sink to the bottom. Good luck, and I hope you enjoy the cookies! =)

38. Sumone says

Just made these today. I couldn’t keep my daughter out of them and they smelled so much like brownies that my husband went right for them. He loved them and he won’t try anything that is gluten free. Guess who won’t be telling? ;) Thanks for the great recipe!

I’m so glad that you and your family enjoyed the cookies! I don’t tell my husband things like that for the same reason. =)

Thanks!! =) I do think it was from the substitution. I’ve never baked with stevia, so I’m not sure how it usually acts. I’m sorry the stevia and cornstarch didn’t work out for you, but I’m glad you commented because people always have questions about what works (and what doesn’t work) as a substitution.

Thanks so much, Martha!! I’m trying to branch out a little and include more recipes for people with special dietary needs, so I have another gluten-free, dairy-free cookie recipe coming up soon, too. I hope he enjoys the cookies!! =)

Kate, these look amazing! I would love to make them soon, as I feel like I’ve made every chocolate chip cookie on the planet…but not this one! Do you remember about how many cookies the recipe makes? Pinning right now.
    Jelli recently posted…Quick Pumpkin Cinnamon RollsMy Profile

Thanks!! =) I do! Thanks for asking; I meant to include the yield. This recipe will make 32 1-tablespoon sized cookies.

I just found this recipe from the Will Cook for Smiles link party and it looks so good. And it’s perfect for the recipe link party that just went live on my website Future Expat. Today’s theme is SUGAR…so feel free to link this up and any other of your sweet sugary recipes.

Every link gets posted to Pinterest and the featured recipes each week also get highlighted on social media sites too. Would love to have you join us!
    Karen Goodman recently posted…Required Ingredient Recipe Link Party – SugarMy Profile

Trackbacks