Whipped Buttercream Frosting {Best frosting ever!}

Whipped Buttercream Frosting {Best Frosting Ever!} Follow Me on Pinterest

This buttercream recipe pretty much blew my mind. I owe a big thank you to my other mother, Marilynn, for this recipe (She was married to my father, and “other mother” is more fitting than “step mom”). I’m not a big frosting person; buttercream and cream cheese frostings are usually just ok, and I can take them or leave them. I also tend to have trouble getting my powdered sugar incorporated into the buttercream. It just ends up being lumpy.

Well, this buttercream frosting takes care of that because it uses (are you ready for this?) granulated sugar! Don’t worry – it’s not gritty at all. In fact, it has the texture of a light whipped cream with the flavor of a sweet, vanilla buttercream. It’s honestly the best frosting (buttercream or otherwise) that I’ve ever had.

One note – to get the best flavor, you’ll want to use real butter and pure vanilla extract. This frosting recipe will frost a 3 layer cake or generously frost about 24 cupcakes. Also, you may want to check out my chocolate and cream cheese versions of this recipe.

Whipped Buttercream Frosting {Best frosting ever!}

7 T. all-purpose flour
1 ½ c. milk
1 ½ T. pure vanilla extract
1 ½ c. salted butter. at room temperature
1 ½ c. granulated sugar
Pinch of salt

Directions

1. In a small saucepan, whisk flour into milk and heat, stirring constantly, until it thickens. It will be the consistency of a thick pancake batter.
  2. Remove from heat and let it cool to room temperature.
  3. Stir in vanilla.
  4. While the mixture is cooling, cream the butter, sugar, and salt together until light and fluffy on medium high, about 5 minutes.
  5. Then add the completely cooled milk mixture.
  6. Beat it for about 5 minutes on medium-high to high until it looks like whipped cream. It may look separated at first, so keep beating it until it comes together and looks like a whipped cream.

Comments

1. Carlee says

So I made this frosting and it turned out okay but did taste good though. I put it in the fridge b because I wasn’t ready to use it. When I took it out and gave it a mix it had the consistency of cottage cheese. I don’t know what to do!!!

So, it separated when you put it in the fridge? I’m not sure if it looks like cottage cheese where it went wrong. The only thing I could suggest is to try whipping it. I hope that helps!

2. Hala says

Hello Kate.
    I tried this recipe yesterday night and the taste is unbelievable (I always hated the taste of regular crusting buttercream), by the time I was done it was really late so I just put it in the container and off the fridge. Today noon I got it out, left it at room temperature for nearly an hour and then I piped it.
    Since I was in doubt, I halved the recipe… I did not see that the recipe calls for salted butter so I bought unsalted butter but even thought the taste was not over sweet.

Although the taste is so delicious it didn’t pipe very well and now after couple of hours I can see it’s a bit separating and it didn’t hold as it’s supposed to be as if it needed more incorporation. I read all comments but can someone please tell me how to make it thicker? shall I add more flour? shall I keep the flour-milk mixture boil more?. In one of the comments I can read that to thicken add 2T room temperature butter, I am afraid this will make it even more runny. Perhaps shall I keep beating the cream more than 5 min?

Thank you a lot for a wonderful recipe. Perhaps next time the texture will be different.
    P.S: in your comment on 4/10/2014 you mentioned that you will be posting another version for this recipe, can you please share the link if you have done so?

3. Cynthia Albright says

Hi Kate!!! Wondering would you have a diabetic version of the Butter Creme Frosting? It’s very hard to find sugar free frosting and I would love to try this frosting . if you could help me I would be eternally greatful!!! Thank you and Bless you!!!♥♥♥

Hi! I’m sorry, but I have a pretty limited knowledge of sugar substitutes. So, I’m not sure how something like Splenda would work in this recipe. If I do get any comments or emails about it, I’m happy to share them!

4. Abbie says

Hi! Help!!!
    I have tried this a few times, and each time the flour/milk mixture gets little timy clumps that do not melt away. I have tried sidting the flour, cooking longer, whipping it continuously with a wire whisk while it is cooking. What am I doing wrong?

I’m sorry that you’re having trouble with it! When you mix the flour and the milk together at the beginning, is it combined before it gets warm? The first thing that I thought of is that it might be getting warm before it’s well-combined, which could make it lumpy.

• Abbie says

Yes! That must be it.. I didn’t realize I needed to combine the flour into cold milk and mixed it thoroughly before it started to heat up. Going to give a fourth try tomorrow! Thank you so much.. Funny reading one of the comments below, as I too am making this to top a rainbow cake for my little one’s 2nd bitthday :)

5. Nina says

Hi!

i am trying to make a rainbow cake for my son’s 1st bday and would like to use this recipe for the frosting. I will try to make it the night before the party. Would this good to put between the layers of the cake and to cover the rest of the cake? I’m thinking it’s the flour that will do the trick :) This will be my first time making a cake.

Thanks!
    Nina

I’m going to be totally honest with you – I think this frosting is best made the day you’re serving it. It can be temperamental because it can separate if the flour mixture isn’t cooked long enough (or chilled sufficiently). Don’t get me wrong -it is a great frosting, and I think it would work just fine between the layers and as a cover for the rest of the cake.

If you have any questions along the way, I’m happy to help you out with it! Good luck!! =)

• nina says

that’s true! I’m also scared that it will not hold since we are in Texas and it’s gonna be really hot for this weekend party.. and the cake will be out or on the table the entire time. I would really love to try this recipe this weekend but maybe some other day :) thanks for the tip!!!

That’s probably a good call! I made some the other day (it’s very hot and humid here right now), and it doesn’t do as well in weather like that.
          I hope you enjoy it if you try it, and if you have any questions at that point, please feel free to ask! =)

6. Anonymous says

Hi! I was just wondering if whether or not this frosting recipe would work fine for mixing into cake for cake pops? Please let me know!

7. Bailey says

Would heavy cream work in place of the milk? I bought some for a different recipe, but after reading further it was not recommended for piping onto cupcakes (which is what I need it for).

I’ve never used heavy cream in place of the milk in this recipe, so I’m not sure how well it would work. I’m sorry that I can’t give you more of an answer on that, but if you try it, I’d be interested to hear how it turns out. Good luck! =)

• Bailey says

I tried it with the whipping cream (not heavy cream, oops!) it tasted absolutely amazing, but did NOT hold up in the heat. It melted and separated very quickly. I would definitely make this again, but use milk. Even my husband liked it though, and he is never eats sweets.

8. Tara says

This recipe is great! It has the perfect amount of sweetness to it and a great whipped texture. At first I was afraid because it looked super runny, but after I let it whip for longer it came out light and fluffy. For anyone wondering about piping, it comes out great with any of the wilton tips. I used it to pipe a swirl frosting on cupcakes. And just like everyone else said, its extremely smooth and melts in your mouth even though it uses granulated sugar!! Thanks for the recipe!

I’m so glad you liked it! Also, thanks for the tips about piping! I don’t do much decorating, so it’s nice to hear from people who have more experience in that area. =)

9. Tempest says

I’m looking to use this frosting to decorate my daughter’s fourth birthday cake. I want to do those oh so cutesy “ruffle” style cakes, and was wondering does this frosting hold up well to piping such things? Thanks so much : )

I do very little piping, so I can’t really speak from experience. I have heard that it holds up well, but I’m not sure what types of piping it was used for. Good luck! =)

• Lisa says

I found this same recipe on Pioneer Woman’s website years ago, and yes, it does extremely well with piping. It holds up great and does not fall if you leave it refrigerated overnight.

10. Courtney Conner says

BEST icing EVER! It is so yummy. Just don’t make it starting at 8:30 at night!! I’m tired! So worth staying up to make it.

I refrigerate the leftovers. I’m not sure whether it would be ok to leave it out or not, but, to be safe, I refrigerate it.

You can. I think that it can taste sort of flat with unsalted butter, so you’ll want to increase the amount of salt in the frosting. Good luck!

11. Kristen says

Hello.

I love this recipe. It is so delicious and not too sweet. Perfect for a wedding cake. Is this recipe easily doubled? Thanks

Thanks! It makes so much that I’ve never needed to double it, so I’m not sure how well it works. If you try it, I’d love to hear how it turns out. Good luck! =)

• Kate says

I just made this frosting for my Banana Cake! Awesome! Everyone loved it! Can you freeze or refrigerate the extra? Thanks so much for sharing!

I’m so glad you liked it! =) I have refrigerated the extra, and it was fine the next day. I haven’t tried freezing it, though, so I’m not sure how well that would work.

• Lisa says

I’ve refrigerated it for up to 4 days with no problems. Haven’t tried freezing it, but if you got it in an airtight container, I bet it would be okay.

Thanks for the tips! It usually goes very quickly around here, so I appreciate that info! =)

12. Claire says

The first time I made this recipe it worked wonderfully! It spread beautifully and didn’t separate. But then later when I made it again, the butter and sugar kept separating! I made it again and it separated AGAIN. I have no idea what I did wrong. Some factors may have been that it was warmer out the second time I made it and I maybe wasn’t as patient about the flour/milk cooling down; i stuck it in the fridge to cool faster. Any thoughts as to why it failed the second time I made it? I love this recipe and want to make it again, but I don’t know how to fix it. Any ideas?

I have a couple ideas. When it’s hot and humid in my kitchen, I have to really make sure to cook plenty of liquid out of the flour mixture. It needs to get to more of a thick, paste-like consistency. If it still looks watery, then you’ll want to keep cooking/stirring it.

Also, yes, if the milk/flour mixture isn’t cool enough, it does cause separation. I’ve found that if it’s even just on the warm side, the frosting doesn’t come out as well.

I hope that helps! If you have any other questions, please let me know.

13. Amanda says

I just made this icing and it is delicious! It is so smooth and creamy. I couldn’t believe it wasn’t gritty because of the granulated sugar! I made a test run for my daughter’s 2nd birthday next month. I made a funfetti vanilla cake but I think I want a flavored buttercream rather than vanilla to add a punch. I have been searching lemon buttercream recipes but I would really like to use your recipe but make it into lemon. Do you know how I could do this? Also, I was going to frost a two layer cake with this icing and also do some piping for a border. Does your recipe hold up well for piping? Sorry for the questions!!

I’m so glad that you like it! To make lemon buttercream, I’d try substituting pure lemon flavor for part or all of the vanilla extract. You may have to play around a little with the amount to get the flavor you’re looking for, but that should do the trick. You could also grate in a little lemon zest to add some extra zing.

I don’t do a lot of cake decorating, but I have heard from people who have successfully piped with it.

I hope that helps, and if you have any other questions, please don’t hesitate to ask!

• Amanda says

So just pure lemon extract? Do you suggest adding any lemon juice? Or just lemon extract and lemon zest?

If I was making it, I would just use pure lemon extract and maybe some zest.

I would have two concerns with using lemon juice. First, I would be worried that it might cause the frosting to curdle or separate. Second, since the extracts are usually so concentrated, you get a lot of flavor with a smaller amount of liquid. When I’ve made lemon cookies, I usually have to use somewhere around 1/4 cup or so of fresh lemon juice to get a good lemon flavor. That much extra liquid might make the frosting too wet.

Hope that helps, and I’d be interested to hear how it turns out. Good luck!

14. Raquel says

I was skeptical about this frosting because of the flour. I had never heard of flour in frosting. I am so glad that I went ahead and tried this recipe anyways! (I thought to myself if it doesn’t taste good I can always throw it away) It is DELICIOUS! The flour and milk mixture doesn’t taste good, Lol! But together with the sugar and butter it is light and not overbearingly sweet. I did mix each mixture separately for 4 minutes each then put them together and mixed for another 4 minutes. I also added a touch more vanilla. Thank you for sharing this recipe, it will be in my recipe box for years to come!

Between the flour and the granulated sugar, I was skeptical, too! I’m so glad that you enjoyed it! =)
      p.s. I have another version of this recipe that I’ll be posting on Monday. If you liked this recipe, you might enjoy that one, too.

15. Lucas says

Looks lovely , can you store the cake in room temperature or does it need fridge with this frosting ? looks lush :)))

Thanks! I left it out for a few hours, but I’d store leftovers in the fridge. I’m not sure whether you have to or not, but I’d err on the side of caution.

16. Kim messer says

Hi, I’m looking to make this into a lemon buttercream any suggestions. I don’t have lemon extract. I wanted to keep the vanilla extract and add some lemon juice and zest. How much should I put do u think?

This is just a guess, but I’d probably start with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice. I’m not sure whether it will cause any separation, but that’s what I would start with and then go from there. Good luck! =)

17. Christine says

For St Pattys day I mixed with Baileys Irish cream coffee creamer and some rum extract to bring out the Baileys. Then I added some left over hot fudge pudding I used for filling the hot cocoa cupcakes. Woah I got a quick lesson on separating and emulsion! So I added more butter and kept whipping, after 5 mins my beautiful buttercream was returning. Not only did it taste just like Baileys it looked like Baileys!! I topped the cupcakes with plain vanilla buttercream, then layered the Baileys, then a quick topping of real whipped cream, some drizzled caramel, and a green white chocolate shamrock. These were a huge hit at work. Your receipe has brought much happiness to my coworkers!! Thank you again!!

18. T. Davis says

Wow! Made this with butter pecan coffee creamer instead of milk, also added maple syrup instead of vanilla extract. I used it to frost butter pecan cupcakes. This was the best buttercream I’ve ever had. So light, fluffy, and flavorful but not too sweet. Thanks so much for sharing one that uses regular sugar. I can’t wait to try it as a vanilla buttercream. This is my new go to buttercream. Do you know of a way to add cream cheese to it without messing it up?
    Thanks so much again!

19. Clover says

Hey there,
    great looking frosting…I want to make it for my birthday!
    Can I use a gluten-free flour, possibly?
    Thanks

I’m sorry, but I’ve never used gluten-free flour, so I’m not familiar enough with it to even make an educated guess. If you try it, I would be interested to hear how it turns out (as, I’m sure, would many other people).

You might want to try cornstarch (or potato starch). Usually, half as much cornstarch will thicken the same as the full amount of flour – so try 3 T to start. Be sure to stir the cornstarch into COLD milk – it will lump up if the milk is too warm to start out. I’ve never used cornstarch for this kind of frosting, but it usually a good substitute for flour when used as a thickener. Good luck!

20. Carey says

I’ve been searching for a good buttercream for years with poor results–until I found this! Hands down the best frosting, very adaptable, very easy to put together , and scalable, too! THANK YOU!!

21. Christine says

When I first tasted it I thought “Yes! This is the one! I finally found an amazing recipe”!
    The flavor has that little punch to it that make other butter creams seem bland. I did alternate it a bit just for this one occasion I added 1/4c white chocolate macadamia nut coffee creamer in place of 1/4c of milk.

I had no problems with separation and it held up well for piping. I used it on pink lemonade mini cupcakes.

With all butter cream frosting’s I use this process. The sugar mixture needs to be mixed up to 15 mins to make sure the grit of the sugar is dissolved. This time I blended for 5 mins then let it sit while I piped lemon filling in the cupcakes and came back to it and blended some more. I think that reduced the blending time.
    I also whipped the cooled flour mixture before adding it to the sugar mixture so all of the lumps were blended out. I think the lumps tend to slip through the sugar/butter mixture and it takes longer to mix out if you don’t.
    (I like my flour mixture a little thicker so the frosting pipes well.)
    I brought 48 of these cupcakes to work for a special Olympics fundraiser, every single one sold! Thank you Kate for this amazing frosting recipe and all of the other great ones you have posted, I can’t wait to try them.

I just made this frosting for a Valentine’s Day cake and O.M.G. it is sooooooo delicious! I find typical buttercream frostings to be a bit too sweet, heavy and boring. I can usually taste the butter and powdered sugar and not much else. With this recipe the flavors are much more light and complex. The texture is fabulous! This will be my go-to buttercream from here on out. So glad I found your recipe in Pinterest! Thank you!

I’m glad you found it, too!! And I’m really glad that you enjoyed it! Thanks for coming back to leave a comment!! =)

23. Angela says

Hey I was just wondering if you had any ideas about how to turn this into a maple flavored buttercream? Thanks!

Sure! You could try substituting part or all of the vanilla extract with maple flavor. You may have to play around a little with the amount of maple flavor, but that will give you a maple flavored buttercream. Good luck! =)

I haven’t ever used it for a wedding cake. I’m sorry that I don’t have any first-hand experience with it, but I’ve had people tell me that it held up well for them. They’ve also said that it worked well for piping it, too. I hope that helps! =)

24. Michelle says

Hi, I noticed that you have the chocolate version of this with corn starch instead of flour. Have you ever tried this one with corn starch? Sometimes I notice a floury taste and I wondered if the cornstarch would have less flavor of it’s own.

No, I haven’t tried this one with corn starch. I’ve never noticed the flour, but I could see how that wouldn’t be very pleasant. If you do try it, please let me know how it works out. =)

25. lex says

I was wondering if you think this recipe would work as a salted caramel whipped buttercream? if i add caramel sauce to it, would i need to reduce sugar? thanks!

I’m not sure. I think it could work, but I think it would take quite a bit of tinkering to get the consistency right.

As far as the sugar/caramel question, I think you would want to reduce the amount of sugar so that it’s not too sweet. However, granulated sugar pulls moisture from other ingredients, resulting in a drier end product; whereas, the caramel sauce would be adding in a lot more moisture to the frosting. So, I would be afraid that you would end up with something that’s goopy if you just swapped them straight across. So, like I said, I think it could work, but it would take some trial and error.

I do have a recipe for a salted caramel buttercream. If you’re interested, here is the link – http://www.ihearteating.com/2013/11/04/salted-caramel-buttercream-frosting-recipe/.

I hope that helps!

26. Ker Ryn says

Hi there!
    Does this frosting taste like butter? Or does it taste very sweet?
    ‘Cause I have been trying tons of recipe for frosting, many of them turned out with the butter taste, while some came out just really sweet.

This frosting is sweet, though I don’t think it’s overly sweet, but I guess that’s a matter of preference. It tastes like vanilla with a hint of butter. I wouldn’t say that it has a strong buttery taste, though.

If you find the taste of butter to be too much in buttercreams, you might like a frosting that uses a mix of shortening and butter instead.

27. AnnC says

I actually thought the T’s were teaspoons but the frosting still worked great! Just manipulated mine a little bit. The frosting came out perfectly. Thanks for the recipe!

28. Sam says

This is the same recipe a lady from my church makes and gave me. Itreally is the best frosting ever. Only difference is I use 4tbsp of flour to 1 cup sugar/butter and have found it works and tastes a little better using cold butter.

29. casey mallin says

Hi Kate,
    I just made this frosting and its not as thick as I expected. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

There are two things that you could try. First, you could try chilling it, and then whip it for a couple more minutes. If that doesn’t thicken it up sufficiently, you could try adding a little more softened butter and then beat that in. I hope that helps!

No, unfortunately, it doesn’t hold up well if it’s made ahead of time. I found that after a day in the fridge that there was some separation. The taste was still fine, and it stirred back together. However, I don’t think it would have worked well for piping at that point. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

• josee says

Well, actually, mine held and could be piped. The milk/flour mixture will tend to separate if you do not cook it long enough…..

Thanks!! I’ll have to try letting it cook a little longer next time. Thanks again for the tip and the comments! =)

30. Kellie says

I was wondering if this frosting hold up well like the buttercream frosting with the powdered sugar. I have an occasion coming up that I will be baking a cake for and none of our family has ever really cared for the greasy sweetness of the other, The party will be 3rd week of June and just wanted to know how well it held up to the heat.
    Thanks

I’m not sure. Every time I’ve taken this frosting to an event, it’s always been indoors. Since the base of this frosting is mainly cooked milk and butter, it may not do well for a long period outside in the heat. This frosting does start to separate after a day or so in the fridge. It still tastes fine, but it doesn’t look as appealing at that point. The heat may cause the same thing to happen, but I’m just guessing on that. I’m sorry that I can’t give you a more definite answer. If you try it, please let me know. I’m sure other people will have that question as the weather warms up.

i am looking for a lemon cake NOT made with butter,it is so hard to find cake recipes made with crisco oil,i would love your help in this matter, thank you so much

Hi! I don’t have a recipe, but I found one from a chef who always has good recipes. I’ll email it to you. =)

That’s a great question! I usually make a small batch for us to eat that day or a large batch if I’m taking it to a get together, so I haven’t had any leftovers when I’ve made this frosting. I’m not sure whether it absolutely has to be refrigerated or not, but I would if you have left just to be on the safe side.

• josee says

It’s such a good recipe, thanks for sharing it. I really don’t like the regular frosting, you know with powdered sugar, too sweet for me and my son. But I gotta say, we really enjoyed this one, I will definitely be making it again, and again…lol
          And I forgot to say in my previous comment that I did not leave the cake in a room that was very hot, my house temp is about 70-72 degrees…..With the amount of butter, I would not bring it outside on a hot summer day!

Thanks so much!! I am so glad that you enjoyed it! I really love it, too, and I’m really glad to hear that you do, too! =)

32. turnips 2 tangerines says

These cupcakes look delicious:) Dropping by from Tried and True Recipe Party! Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

33. Yaz says

I’m.only guessing but are the measuremens tablespoons and cups? I’m.in the UK and just wondered so I can convert. Thanks

They are. Sorry, I know the weight versus volume measurements are frustrating.

• Lynsie says

When you say 1 1/2 cup, does that mean one and a half cups or is it one half of a cup? Same question with the 1 1/2 T – and is T a tablespoon or teaspoon? Since the entire recipe is using this formula I didn’t want to guess and mess it up. Thanks.

It’s 1 cup + 1/2 cup (one and one half cups). T= tablespoon, and tsp. = teaspoon. Sorry for the confusion!! I try to write the recipes as clearly as possible, but sometimes I end up making them as clear as mud. Please let me know if you have any more questions! =)

Thanks! I’d imagine that it’s not very easy. I’ve been blessed with two great step-parents, so I have to take every opportunity to let them know that I love them now because I wasn’t always the easiest kid. Thanks for the invite! I will definitely come to your link party!!

34. Marilynn says

My cupcakes don’t look as yummy as yours!!! I love the pearl sugar you sprinkled on the top too!!!!