Happy February! Since Valentine’s Day is coming up, I figured we’d start the month off a double dose of chocolatey goodness.
Chocolate-Almond Cupcakes with Chocolate-Almond Mascarpone Frosting
- 6 T. butter
- 1/4 c. non-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 2 ¼ c. all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 3/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 c. granulated sugar
- 1 c. brown sugar, packed
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. almond extract
- 1 ½ c. low-fat buttermilk
- 8 oz. mascarpone cheese
- 4 T. butter, softened
- 1/2 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 T. low-fat milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 4-4 ½ c. powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease or line 2 12-cup muffin tins. Preheat oven to 350 F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt; set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat butter and yogurt on medium for 30 seconds.
- Beat in sugars until combined.
- Add eggs, beating well to combine.
- Beat in extracts.
- Add flour mixture and buttermilk alternately, beating on low speed just until combined.
- Scoop batter into the prepared tins filling them 3/4 full.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cupcakes cool for 5 minutes in pan, and then remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
- To make the frosting, beat together mascarpone cheese, butter, cocoa powder, milk, and extracts on low for 30 seconds in a large bowl.
- Increase speed to medium and beat until well-combined.
- Gradually add 4 cups powdered sugar, beating until smooth.
- Beat additional milk or powdered sugar, 1 teaspoon at a time, to reach spreadable consistency.
- If piping, refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour, or until stiff enough to pipe.
- Refrigerate leftover cupcakes.