Samoas {Caramel DeLite} Chex Mix

This was not the post that I had planned for today. I know that I said that I wouldn’t do a recipe with caramel for a while, BUT I just got so excited about this when I made it over the weekend that I had to share it right away. This was hands-down the best Chex mix that I’ve ever made. Seriously, this is just so good! Please (please) take the extra few minutes to toast the coconut. It will make your house smell like coconut deliciousness, and toasting it will enhance the flavor and allow it to stand up to being folded in with the caramel.

Also, I’m trying something new – titles on the picture. I see a lot of sites that do it, and it looks great, but I’m not sure that I can make it look that good. I would love to get some feedback on this. So, what do you think? Titles? No titles? One pic with a title and one without?

Samoas {Caramel DeLite} Chex Mix

6 c. Rice Chex
1 ¼ c. sweetened shredded coconut
1/3 c. semisweet chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350 F.
  2. Place coconut in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
  3. Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until coconut is toasted. Stir twice while it’s baking.
  4. If necessary, warm caramel until it’s easily spreadable.
  5. In a large bowl, toss caramel and cereal together until cereal is coated well.
  6. Fold in toasted coconut.
  7. Spread chex mix onto a sheet of parchment paper or a baking sheet.
  8. Bake for about 5 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
  9. Remove from oven, and let the Chex mix cool.
  10. Melt chocolate chips (I used a double boiler).
  11. Drizzle melted chocolate over chex mix, and let it cool.

Samoas Chex Mix Follow Me on Pinterest

Comments

1. Staci says

Just wondering what kind of caramel topping you used we tried it and the caramel didn’t really set up it made the chex soggy and really sticky. We would love to make it again

Sorry!! I went back and looked at the recipe. It’s missing a step. I updated the recipe, so that should take care of the stickiness issues. FYI – I used my salted caramel sauce recipe. I hope that fixes the problem. If you have any other issues, please let me know!

2. Donna says

Just wanted say I love the Chex Mix and wanted to throw in my 2 cents as a reader about putting titles on your photos. This would be a great idea and agree with kateheartseating; put your name and/ or blog on evry photo you can. I have been pinning many recipes here lately, serveral for the same food looking for the best one for my family. I have noticed that not only are people sharing and posting recipes like crazy due to Pinterest, they are also posting their own recipes with someone elses photos. I went to my Pinterest the other day to print a recipe and noticed I had pinned 4 different recipes for Sweet and Sour Pork recipes that was using the same food picture. I deleted all 4 recipes, It really bothered me and I don’t even have a blog.

Thanks! I’m glad you like it!! The photo stealing has gotten to be pretty out of control. I’ve seen my pictures on other sites both with my site name cropped out and with my site name on there. It’s nice that you noticed and cared! If more people start caring, then maybe things will change. =)

3. Bunny Kasper says

If you’re going to put titles on your photos, include your name so folks always remember where they found the recipe. You should get full credit for your wonderful creations.

Thanks!! I just started adding them, so sometimes I forget and sometimes they end up getting cropped out when I link them. The reason I started was that my pics were growing viral legs and ending up other places, so, yeah, I need to make sure I do it =).

Thanks so much for hosting each week!! Thanks for pinning and for coming by! =)

Hi Kate,
    I just love the caramel in your special snack,it looks awesome. Have a great St. Patrick’s Day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday!
    Come Back Soon,
    Miz Helen

Thank you, Miz Helen! I hope you have a wonderful St. Patrick’s Day, too! Thank you for hosting each week!! =)

I’ve been really fortunate to have a lot of amazing people take the time to comment on my blog. I’m so appreciative of all of the comments that I get from everyone! =)

I’m going to make this snack for our weekend movie night. We love coconut, chocolate, and caramel ~ so this will be a huge hit. Thanks for the recipe.

Thanks!! I love a little salt thrown in with my desserts, too! I hope you enjoy this!! =)

Thanks!! I would love to come to your link party tomorrow! Thanks for the invite! =)

6. justagirlabby says

This looks so yummy! Must try! I found you at the DIY Dreamer link up! Thanks for sharing!

~Abby =)

Thanks!! I just don’t want to overdo it (guess that’s pretty hard to do with caramel, though!). I hope you enjoy the chex mix! =)

This sounds amazing! I love Samoa cookies… Pinned! Thanks for coming to (link) party with me at Super Saturday Show & Tell :) xoxo~ Ruthie

Thanks!! I hope it’s (at least a little) healthier since I ate so much of it! =)

Thanks!! Thanks so much for the invite to your link party! I would love to share this!! =)

This is so ridiculously good! Thank you for sharing the recipe. The salted caramel sauce is so delicious too! I am trying hard not to make a total pig of myself right now. Going to have to add a few more miles to my daily walk now. LOL

Thanks!! I’m so glad you like it!! I totally made a pig out of myself with it! =)

Thanks!! I shared my salted caramel apple crisp bars, but I’ll make sure to share the chex mix next week. Thanks so much for coming by and for hosting!! =)

Thanks! No, it was a little sticky at first (I warmed my caramel to make it spreadable), but it set up nicely.

9. kimslittlelife says

I’ve been going back and forth about that too…I think for Pinterest (as stated above) people like having labels…so I’ve been doing a little of both! This recipe sounds awesome…and probably better for you than the cookies!

I agree! It does make it a lot easier for Pinterest. I just don’t know that I’m so good at picking and pairing the fonts and all. I think the a little of both seems like the way to go, so thanks for your feedback! =) I hope so!!! I ate soooo much of it this weekend!

10. Rena says

maybe on pic with, one without? it makes it easier to tell on pinterest etc what the recipe is but sometimes takes away from the clean look of the photo. this looks yum!!