This was not the post that I had planned for today. I know that I said that I wouldn’t do a recipe with caramel for a while, BUT I just got so excited about this when I made it over the weekend that I had to share it right away. This was hands-down the best Chex mix that I’ve ever made. Seriously, this is just so good! Please (please) take the extra few minutes to toast the coconut. It will make your house smell like coconut deliciousness, and toasting it will enhance the flavor and allow it to stand up to being folded in with the caramel.
Also, I’m trying something new – titles on the picture. I see a lot of sites that do it, and it looks great, but I’m not sure that I can make it look that good. I would love to get some feedback on this. So, what do you think? Titles? No titles? One pic with a title and one without?
6 c. Rice Chex
1 ¼ c. sweetened shredded coconut
1 c. salted caramel sauce
1/3 c. semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place coconut in a single layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 7-8 minutes, or until coconut is toasted. Stir twice while it’s baking.
- If necessary, warm caramel until it’s easily spreadable.
- In a large bowl, toss caramel and cereal together until cereal is coated well.
- Fold in toasted coconut.
- Spread chex mix onto a sheet of parchment paper or a baking sheet.
- Bake for about 5 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Remove from oven, and let the Chex mix cool.
- Melt chocolate chips (I used a double boiler).
- Drizzle melted chocolate over chex mix, and let it cool.