Honey Wheat Bread {Outback Steakhouse Copycat}

Honey Wheat Bread {Outback Copycat} Follow Me on Pinterest

We don’t go to sit-down restaurants very often, but when we do, it’s all about which restaurant has the best bread. My husband, though, would probably tell you it’s about which place has the best steak. Boo! Bread wins out every time for me. This recipe is nearly an exact copycat of one of my favorite breads. So, now I can eat all of the yummy bread I want without any of that steak business getting in the way.

Honey Wheat Bread {Outback Steakhouse Copycat}

2 ½ c. warm water (100°-110°F)
1/4 c. vegetable oil
2 T. caramel color
1/2 c. honey
3 ½ c. whole-wheat flour
2 T. cocoa
2 T. active dry yeast
1 tsp. salt
2-3 c. bread flour
rolled oats (for dusting loaves)

Directions

1. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitter with a dough hook, stir together water, oil, caramel color, and honey until mixed well.
  2. Add wheat flour to water mixture.
  3. Add cocoa, yeast, and salt, and stir until blended.
  4. Allow mixture sit for 10 minutes.
  5. Stir in bread flour, one cup at a time, until dough clings to hook and almost clears the sides of mixer, about 3-4 minutes.
  6. Cover bowl with greased plastic wrap.
  7. Allow dough to rise in the bowl until doubled, about 30-60 minutes.
  8. Divide into 2 pieces.
  9. Cover each piece with greased plastic wrap, and let dough rest for 5 minutes.
  10. Shape pieces into loaves, and sprinkle with oats.
  11. Place each loaf in a greased 9x5-inch loaf pan.
  12. Let dough rise until doubled, about 30-60 minutes.
  13. Toward the end of the rising time, preheat oven to 350 F.
  14. Bake at for 30-40 minutes.

adapted from Frieda Loves Bread

Comments

1. Rochelle says

Hi! I just came across your site and I LOVE your recipes! I just started “wanting” to make my own breads, and this looks absolutely delicious! I will obviously omit the coloring, but could I use something to substitute the bread flour for? I have almond flour or whole wheat flour.. Or is that a MUST?? Thank you so much for sharing all of your wonderful recipes!

Thanks! So, as far as the bread flour goes, bread flour works well for breads because of the amount of gluten in the flour, and the gluten is what gives bread its chewiness. Usually, the easiest substitute for bread flour is all-purpose flour. I’m not familiar enough with almond flour to comment on it, but the problem with whole wheat flour is that it tends to produce a denser, drier product unless you make other alterations to the recipe. I hope that helps! =)

2. Jessica says

Just a quick question. Could you use molasses instead of the caramel coloring?? If so would you have to adjust the liquid in the recipe? Thanks!

I think so. I don’t know that you would end up with the same depth of color, but I think you could swap it out tablespoon for tablespoon. If you try it, I’d love to hear how it turns out. Good luck! =)

I wanted this bread so bad. I thought 2 Tablespoons of yeast was a lot but went with it anyway. It only took 2 cups of bread flour but I did have to add more water as well since it was too dry. I am on the east coast and it is March but a dry day still I had to add quite a bit of water I just eyeballed it to get the proper consistency I raised the bread twice for an hour each time, then proofed it for an hour. It looked great going into the oven in 2 bread pans. It came out moist and delicious. Next time though I will add a little molasses I think it is missing in the recipe

The flour/water ratio and rising times can definitely vary. I live in a very humid part of the country, and I try to write the recipe with varying amounts, but sometimes the recipes still need to be adjusted based on altitude, humidity, temperature, etc. I’m glad that you were able to make those adjustments and make it work for you!

Hi. This sounds amazing, and since I love their bread I will definitely have to make this.
    Could you use brown gel coloring (like used for cakes/frosting), instead of the caramel color if you still want that gorgeous color?

I’ve never tried that, but it sounds like a good idea. If you try it, I’d be interested to hear how it turns out!

Hello Kate! I found your recipe and I decided to give it a chance because of all the recipes I had, I just felt that yours was gonna be the one. I made some changes on the flour I used and I followed a different process but definitely I will keep it. Thank you for sharing…….I already made the bread and it came out just DELICIOUS!
    P.S. I am glad I can read english so I could find your recipe. I am a mexican living in Mexico.

Hi! I’m so glad it worked out for you with your changes!! Thanks for taking the time to come back and let me know! =)

6. Christy says

In regards to the caramel coloring, Coke changed their formula to a different kind of caramel coloring because in California they have, in my opinion, way stricter codes on foods than the rest of the country. And Coke would have had to put a cancer warning label on each unit sold. They didn’t stop using caramel coloring, they just changed the type they use. Actually, studies have proved you would have to drink 1,000+ sodas PER DAY to equal the amounts that caused cancer in the rats used in the study. Now who does that?

Thanks for the clarification on that! I didn’t realize there were different types of caramel coloring either. If anyone still feels uncomfortable with it, they can certainly omit it in the recipe.

7. LaLonne says

***IMPORTANT HEALTH NOTE: When I didn’t know what “Caramel Color” was, I googled it and was SHOCKED to see story after story about Caramel Coloring containing two cancer causing chemicals in it – so much so that Coke & Pepsi are changing their formulas to get rid of it (Coke already has, Pepsi will by Feb, 2014). Even if it’s only a *small* amount of those chemicals, it’s sure not worth the coloring to me! Yipes.

Thanks for bringing this up. I’m not sure whether you saw the other comments concerning this, but I was unaware that there was any controversy surrounding caramel color when I published this recipe. Please feel free to omit the caramel color as it is there purely for looks.

No, it’s mainly there to add the deeper brown color to the bread. The flavor that it adds is really negligible, so you could leave it out.

8. Anjali says

This recipe should be just fine if I cut it in half since I only have one 9×5 pan, right? Thanks for posting this!

It should be! I can’t see any reason that it wouldn’t be just fine halved. If you have any other questions, please feel free to ask! I hope you enjoy the bread!! =)

Caramel color is a food coloring; it’s what gives the bread its brown color. I live in a fairly small town, so I had to order it on Amazon, but I would think larger grocery stores might carry it. You could leave it out if you don’t want to buy it, and it should be ok. It just won’t have the same color to it.

Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Have a great weekend and enjoy your new Red Plate!
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

Thanks so much, Miz Helen!! Have a great Easter weekend! See you at your party next week! =)

Thanks for the heads up!! I went by, but I don’t think the party was live yet. I’ll swing back by!! =)

Haha! A girl after my own heart! I made them in the small loaf pans so I could have one all to myself. Thanks so much for the feature!! That’s awesome! =)

Hi Kate,
    I just love this bread and can’t wait to make it THIS WEEK! Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

I hope you enjoy the bread, Miz Helen!! Thanks so much for hosting each week!! =)

I used to work at Outback many years ago and I always loved eating their wheat bread! I bet this tastes just like it! :) Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

I would’ve been in so much trouble if I had worked there! They would have had to roll me out at the end of each shift!! =)

Thanks for pinning (twice!)! Hope you enjoy the bread!! Thanks so much for hosting each week! =)

Oh how I love this bread recipe! I may have to give this a try this weekend!

Thanks so much for sharing at Marvelous Mondays. Carrie and I will be featuring this at tomorrow night’s party. Have a fabulous weekend!

Thanks so much for the feature!! Hope you love the bread! Have a great weekend!! =)

I am excited to try your recipe! I love this bread and have made several different versions but none ever came out as good as the ones from the restaurant. Your loaves look beautiful!

Nice stopping by to say Hi!
    Kindly, Lorraine

I tried several versions with no luck before this, too. I think this tastes just like the Outback bread. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!! =)

Isn’t it so good! Thanks for pinning and for coming by! Hope you enjoy the recipe!! =)

I love copycat recipes! They give you no excuse to stay home & eat better & save money! These look fab! :) Will be making these soon, especially I’ve been craving Outback for ages now but live in England & we don’t have it here! :(

Me too!! Plus, I think it’s kinda fun to know that you can make whatever it is, too. Thanks!! I hate cravings for food from restaurants that aren’t near you. I have those all the time now that we’ve moved. Hope you enjoy the bread!!

Fantastic! I have to admit I’ve never made homemade bread! But I think recipe has convinced me to try. Thanks for sharing at Time to Sparkle!

That’s awesome! I didn’t try it for years (the whole yeast thing threw me), but now I love making my own bread. Good luck with your bread baking!! Thanks for coming by and for hosting!! =)

Thank you SO much!! That is a huge compliment because you always have such beautiful pics on your site!! =D

It is!! The only reason I ever go to Outback (or Texas Roadhouse) is for the great bread. Thanks! I’d love to!! =)

Oh I bet this is good! Looking forward to trying :) Stopping by from Sumos Sweet Stuff Link Party.

RamblingReed.blogspot.com

No. Way. This is awesome! I used to work as a server at Outback and I never got tired of their bread!! What a great recipe – I can’t wait to try it!!! I love your blog and am now following you. Stop by and visit me if you get a minute! Hope you’re having a great week!

Best,
    Jen @ Yummy. Healthy. Easy.

I would’ve been in trouble working there! I always fill up on the bread when we go, so they would’ve had to roll me out at the end of my shift if I had worked there. Thanks so much for stopping by and for following! I will definitely stop by your site =)

Thanks!! It’s so satisfying to make bread (and it makes your house smell amazing!). I hope like the bread!! =)

Thanks!! Baking bread and baking cookies are my two fav smells! Thanks so much for hosting and for coming by!! =)

L-O-V-E Outback’s bread!! I always have to remind myself NOT to fill up on it, even with amazing cheese fries and a juicy steak on the table it’s still hard to resist their addictive bread!! Thanks for the awesome copycat recipe!! You rock!

I just realized that even though I’ve enjoyed several of your posts I wasn’t following you yet … Fixed that ;) Now following ya via Bloglovin’ ;*) Would be tickled pink to have you stop by for a visit sometime at ChattingOverChocolate.blogspot.com. :)
    Have yourself a fabulous weekend!!

That is totally my bad!! I need to leave some comments when I visit your awesome site!! Have to hop over and fix that!! =)

I had to special order mine because I couldn’t find it in any of the stores here. Now I have a ginormo bottle, so I guess I have to make a lot more bread! =)

I am totally trying this tonight… if the baby cooperates! haha thanks for linking it up at F-it Fridays! I thought that the caramel coloring was just burnt sugar?? Not sure how that’s a carcinogen?

Thanks for hosting!! All of my baking depends on that, too! =) That’s what I thought, too!! That comment freaked me out! As far as I could tell, it’s ok, though.

20. Shoba says

Looks lovely and so rustic. Lovely clicks by the way! WHy do you use caramel colour? Its a known carcinogen!!!

Shobha

Thanks! I had no idea that caramel color was a carcinogen. I’ll have to look into that. I was using it as an alternative to food coloring. Please feel free to leave it out – it just adds the famous brown color to the loaves.

If you love the bread at Outback, then this is the recipe for you!! Thanks!! I’ll def stop by and link up =)