My mom is all about healthy food. She is the one who introduced me to tofu and quinoa and pretty much every other healthy thing I eat. She’s an amazing cook and baker. My mom didn’t make dessert very often (or at least it didn’t seem like it was very often because I have a huge sweet tooth). One of my favorite things that she made, though, was pineapple upside-down cake – due in large part to the buttery brown sugar topping.
I like to make the upside-down cake as cupcakes because I’m terrible at cutting cakes (and bars and pretty much everything else). Seriously, I can’t cut a straight line no matter how hard I try, and I end up making a big ol’ mess. You’ll have to do a little maneuvering to make the pineapple ring fit in the muffin cups, but, otherwise, these cupcakes are a snap to make.
- 1 c. cake flour
- 1 ¾ tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 6 T. butter, at room temperature, divided
- 1/2 c. granulated sugar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1/2 c. buttermilk or sour milk (I used 1/2 T. pineapple juice and then filled the cup the rest of the way with milk)
- 1 (20 oz.) can pineapple slices
- 1/2 c. brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 12-cup muffin tin; set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- With a hand mixer, or in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat together 4 tablespoons butter and granulated sugar.
- Add egg and vanilla extract; beat until well-combined, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Stir in the flour mixture until just barely incorporated.
- Add buttermilk and stir until just combined.
- Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter and pour evenly into bottom of muffin tins.
- Top with 2 teaspoons of brown sugar in each tin.
- Add 1 slice of pineapple over brown sugar, fitting it as needed.
- Divide batter evenly between muffin tins.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until lightly browned and toothpick inserted into one comes out without crumbs.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes, and then loosen and invert onto serving platter.
You might also like