Now, by the time that dinner is over, I’m done with the cooking and baking for the day. So, whatever I make at that point has to be easy. And this popcorn ball recipe is. It’s really similar to the recipe for cereal treats with a few tweaks and additions. The popcorn balls are delicious with candy (the way my husband and kids like them) or without (the way that I prefer them).
One note – be sure to take out any unpopped kernals before you add in the popcorn.
- 1 bag natural microwave popcorn
- 1/4 c. butter
- 1 (10 oz.) bag mini marshmallows
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 - 1 c. M&Ms or Reese’s Pieces (optional)
- Pop popcorn according to package directions; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter.
- Continue cooking until butter begins to turn golden brown.
- Add marshmallows, and stir constantly until marshmallows have melted.
- Remove from heat, and stir in vanilla.
- Add popcorn, and fold into marshmallow mixture.
- Gently fold in candy, if using.
- When mixture is cool enough to handle, lightly spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray.
- Scoop about 1 cup of the popcorn mixture and smoosh it into a ball.
- Place on a sheet of waxed paper, parchment paper, or silicone baking mat to cool.