Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting Recipe

Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting Follow Me on Pinterest

I made this Salted Caramel Buttercream to pair with my Browned Butter Pumpkin Spice Cake, but this sweet and salty buttercream would be delicious paired with just about any cake.

Salted Caramel Buttercream Frosting

• 1 c. butter, at room temperature
  • 1/3 c. salted caramel sauce, at cool room temperature
  • 1 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1 ½ c. powdered sugar
  • Pinch Kosher salt
Instructions
  1. With an electric mixer, beat butter on medium for 1 minute.
  2. Add salted caramel sauce and vanilla extract, and beat on medium for 2 minutes, scraping down the sides as needed.
  3. Add powdered sugar and salt, and beat on low until powdered sugar is incorporated.
  4. Increase speed to medium, and beat until smooth and well-combined, about 2-3 additional minutes.
  5. This will make enough for a 2-layer 9-inch cake or about 24 cupcakes.

Comments

Thanks! I’m not sure how long it would last because we’ve always eaten the frosting within a day. I would guess that it would keep for two days, but I’m not really sure beyond that.

Since it’s a buttercream frosting, you’ll want to refrigerate it. I don’t know how long it’s safe to leave it out for, but I always put mine in the fridge to be on the safe side.

1. Kathleen says

I found this and I’m about to try it on my apple pie cupcakes. It sounds good!! I’m excited!!

2. Sarah says

Can I make this icing one day in advance? I am very excited to make it and assemble my cake and I have no patience! I made your salted caramel sauce and it is so lovely! I think I may have cooked it a little bit longer than I should’ve but it tastes good nevertheless, just the slightest bit bitter, sort of like a hint of liqueur, yum yum!

I think it would be fine. It held up well in the fridge on my frosted cake, so I would think it would work. Thanks so much! I’ve done that before, too, and I ended up with a caramel that had a hint of burnt sugar. Glad you liked it! =)

• Izzati Noris says

Tried it! Worked well but I had to add extra powdered sugar for the top and side crumb coating. Still tasted fantastic though. Everyone loved it. Thank you!

Hi, I love homemade frostings and make them all the time, so I can’t wait to try this one, too. I am curious if it must be kept refrigerated or not; it looks like it should be pretty stable unless it’s very hot out. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

It is pretty stable. I had it out at room temp for a couple hours, and it was fine during that time (long enough for me to assemble a cake, photograph it, and then for us to eat it). I did refrigerate the leftover cake/frosting, though.

I’ve never made the frosting with caramel topping. I would guess that it would work, but I can’t say for sure. If you want the salted caramel flavor, you may need to adjust the salt accordingly, though, since the salted caramel sauce will be a little less sweet and a little more salty than caramel topping.

4. Jeri Ann Guth says

I would like to try this in a jiffy. Do you think store bought salted caramel sauce would work?

Literally made this mere minutes ago. Almost cried. Almost died. Seriously thinking about calling off work tomorrow. I can’t wait for my family to wake up and try it tomorrow on my first made from scratch chocolate cake! Ugh, why would I make this while on a diet? Lol perhaps I’ll make this my cheat for the week.

Thank you!

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! I’m so glad that you like the frosting!! And congrats on making your first scratch chocolate cake! =)

I so eager to try this frosting recipe and your salted caramel sauce. I’ve tried other caramel sauce recipes before and they’ve flopped but the two comment above give me hope that this is the one that I’ll be successful with. Would you be willing to share this recipe post and any of your other great ones at our Making Monday link party? We would love it and think our readers will, too. Thanks. Have a great week. http://www.abrightandbeautifullife.com/making-monday-13-2/
    Lori @ A Bright and Beautiful Life recently posted…Making Monday [#13]My Profile

7. Stacy says

Wow! That’s all I can say. Made this last night to top chocolate cupcakes. So so yummy! Perfect, in fact! I have tried making caramel before a few times and it has been a disaster. With your recipes, I nailed it!!! Thank you!

It took me multiple tries to find a workable caramel recipe, so I completely get that! I’m so glad that you liked the sauce and the frosting!! Thanks for coming back to let me know!! =)