The first time that I had a broccoli salad was when I was trying a little bit of everything from an all-you-can-eat buffet. It was tasty, but it was really sweet and really mayonnaise-y.
So, I did a couple things differently with this salad. First, I added more veggies – carrots and celery – to give it even more crunch.
Second, I used light mayonnaise and Greek yogurt in the dressing (I use Greek yogurt in almost everything because it's such a great substitute for everything from butter to oil to mayonnaise to sour cream).
I also used just enough sugar to make the dressing sweet and tangy without it being overly sugary.
- 5 c . broccoli florets cut into small pieces
- 1 ½ c . sliced carrots
- 1 c . chopped celery
- 1/2 c . 2% sharp cheddar cheese in small cubes
- 3 strips bacon cooked and crumbled
- 1 c . sunflower seeds divided
- 1/2 c . dried sweetened cranberries
- 1/2 c . light mayonnaise
- 1/2 c . plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 2-4 T . granulated sugar depending on desired sweetness (I use 3 T.)
- 1/4 c . cider vinegar
- 1/4 tsp . salt
- 1/4 tsp . ground pepper
In a large bowl, stir together vegetables, cheese, bacon, 3/4 cup sunflower seeds, and cranberries.
Whisk mayonnaise, yogurt, sugar, vinegar, salt, and pepper together in a small bowl.
Add dressing to salad, and toss to combine.
Cover, and refrigerate until chilled.
Serve cold, and top with remaining 1/4 cup sunflower seeds just before serving.