We are seriously missing the local fresh Mex restaurant in our last town. Unfortunately, there are no good fresh Mex places here. So, we've been having some major burrito withdrawals, which meant that I had to take matters into my own hands to curb our cravings.
Crock Pot Mexican Chicken
- 10 oz . can diced tomatoes with mild green chilies (like Rotel)
- 15 oz . can pinto beans or black beans drained and rinsed
- 14 oz . can corn drained
- 1/2 c . onion diced
- 1/4 c . fresh cilantro chopped
- 1 c . chicken broth
- 2 cloves garlic peeled and minced
- 1 tsp . garlic powder
- 1 tsp . onion powder
- 1 tsp . cumin
- 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper to taste
- 2 lb. boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
Combine tomatoes, beans, corn, onion, cilantro, broth, garlic, garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, cayenne pepper, and salt in a crockpot.
Place chicken breasts on top of bean mixture.
Cook on low for 8-10 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.
About half an hour or so before serving, remove chicken and shred. Return chicken to slow cooker, and continue to cook for 30 minutes.
Adapted from skinnytaste.com