The world could use more cake for breakfast! So, in the spirit of enjoying dessert first, I decided to make a Banana Streusel Breakfast Cake. But because it’s a breakfast cake, it has some better-for-you ingredients (oats, whole wheat flour, bananas).
This cake is moist and has great flavor. It also reheats well, so you can make it and then enjoy it the next couple of mornings (if it lasts that long).
Banana Streusel Breakfast Cake Recipe
- 3 large bananas
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup low-fat sour cream or fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 ½ cups rolled oats
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 -1/2 cup brown sugar (depending on desired sweetness)
- 1/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/4 cup . rolled oats
- 1/4 cup . chopped pecans
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter (cut into pieces)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x9-inch baking pan; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mash bananas.
- Stir in egg until combined.
- Add vegetable oil, sour cream, and vanilla extract. Stir until well-combined.
- Stir in brown sugar until combined.
- Add rolled oats, flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until just incorporated.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- To prepare the streusel, combine sugar, flour, oats, pecan, and cinnamon.
- Cut in butter until combined.
- Sprinkle over batter.
- Bake for about 25-35 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Enjoy warm or let cool to room temperature.