Cake batter rice krispies treats are a yummy, no-bake cereal treat recipe! This easy dessert can be Funfetti, red velvet, or any other cake flavor!
Published 4/2/12. Updated with new photos and tips 6/12/18.
Recently, I saw a recipe for cake batter muddies buddies, which got me thinking about what else might be better with a little cake mix tossed in.
Enter a box of Rice Krispies that no one wanted to eat and voila! For this take on rice krispies treats, I used part of a Funfetti cake mix for one batch and part of a red velvet cake mix for another batch.
Not only did it smell like baking cupcakes while I was making these, but the treats had a subtle cupcake flavor to them, and you have tons of flavor options to play with.
Tips to make cake batter rice krispies treats
- These treats will set up a little harder because of the cake mix, so don’t cut back on the marshmallows or the butter.
- When you’re pressing the treats into the pan, lightly grease your hands to keep the treats from sticking as you press them in.
More rice krispies recipes!
If you’ve tried this cake batter rice krispies treats recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Cake Batter Rice Krispies Treats
- 6 cups Rice Krispie cereal
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 16 ounce package marshmallows
- 1/3 cup dry cake mix
- 1/3 cup sprinkles (divided, optional*)
- Melt butter in a large, heavy pot over low heat.
- Add marshmallows. Stir until marshmallows are almost melted.
- Remove from heat.
- Add the cake mix, and stir to combine.
- Stir in cereal.
- Fold in half sprinkles, if using.
- Press into greased 13x9-inch dish, and top with remaining half sprinkles, if using.
- Gently press sprinkles into the top, and let treats set up.