Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is an easy, comfort food dish that’s sure to please! Recipe includes make-ahead freezer meal directions.
This Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole is a make-ahead, freezer-friendly casserole. If you like to get an extra meal out of your efforts, then these two-for-one casseroles are the way to go.
This casserole is also a great way to use up leftover ham or chicken. So, it’s a delicious way to re-purpose leftover Easter or Christmas ham into an entirely new meal.
How To Make Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
In a large pot, whisk milk and flour together. Cook, whisking regularly, until thickened.
Remove from heat and whisk in Swiss and Parmesan cheese until melted and well-blended.
Pour cheese sauce over the pasta. Stir in ham and cooked chicken.
Pour the pasta mixture into a casserole dish. Sprinkle with bread crumbs and grated Parmesan cheese.
Bake until hot and bubbly, about 15-20 minutes.
Tips For Freezing (Make-Ahead Directions)
- I buy the disposable aluminum pans for the casserole that is going to go into the freezer because I don’t want all of my pans and dishes to end up in the freezer, and they seem to work well for the freezer casseroles.
- Be sure to let the casserole come to room temperature before freezing.
- I wrap the casserole in plastic wrap and then in aluminum foil. This helps to keep the casserole fresh in the freezer.
More Casserole Recipes!
If you’ve tried this chicken cordon bleu casserole recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Chicken Cordon Bleu Casserole
- 4 cups milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 8 ounces Swiss cheese (shredded)
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 12 ounce package dried shaped pasta - like penne
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked chicken (cubed)
- 2 cups cooked ham (cubed)
- 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs (Panko or traditional)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease two 9x9-inch casserole dishes or a 9x13 baking dish if making one casserole.
- Cook pasta to almost al dente, about 1-2 minutes less than al dente if freezing or to al dente if not.
- Drain and set aside.
- In a large pot whisk together milk and flour until smooth.
- Heat over medium-low heat until thickened, whisking regularly.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in Swiss cheese and Parmesan cheese blend until smooth.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Add pasta to baking dish(es).
- Pour cheese sauce over pasta.
- Top with chicken and ham.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese over the top.
- Bake casserole for 15 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Let come to room temperature.
- Cover pan tightly with plastic wrap and then foil.
- When ready to use, thaw in fridge overnight.
- Uncover, and bake at 350F for about 20-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Nutrition facts are estimated.
Originally published 3/6/12. Updated with new photos 12/26/19.