We absolutely love Tex-Mex type food like these Creamy Green Chile-Smothered Burritos. Even my two year-old loves these.
These burritos come together quickly, and they’re on the milder side.
Because they come together so quickly they are perfect for a weeknight dinners, and they also reheat well.
They also use lighter ingredients than regular white enchiladas, but none of the flavor or creaminess has been sacrificed.
Creamy Green Chile-Smothered Burritos
- 2-10 ounce cans mild green chile enchilada sauce
- 1/3 cup half-and-half regular or fat-free will work
- 1/3 cup non-fat Greek yogurt
- 4 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese
- 4 ounce can diced green chiles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken divided
- 8 medium flour tortillas
- 2 cups Mexican cheese blend divided, 2% or regular
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray; set aside.
- In a saucepan over medium-low heat, stir together enchilada sauce, half-and-half, yogurt, cream cheese, and chiles until cream cheese is melted and sauce is well-combined. You don’t want the sauce to boil, so adjust the heat as necessary.
- Add the 1/2 cup chicken to the sauce, and let it warm in sauce for 5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Meanwhile, warm the tortillas.
- To assemble the burritos, divide the remaining chicken among the burritos.
- Pour about 2-3 tablespoons of sauce over the chicken, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cheese.
- Fold up the bottom and fold down the top of the tortilla.
- Roll up the burrito and place seam-side down in the baking dish.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Pour the remaining sauce over the burritos.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 ½ cups of cheese.
- Cover with greased foil and bake for about 20 minutes, removing the foil during the last 5 minutes of baking. The sauce should be bubbly, and the cheese should be melted.