As much as I love all of the pumpkin and apple everything this time of year (and I really do love it), sometimes a super chocolaty dessert just can’t be beat.
And these frosted fudge brownies are very chocolaty! These rich chocolate brownies are topped with a not-too-sweet chocolate buttercream frosting. They’re a perfect answer to a chocolate craving.
One of the things that I love about this recipe is that they taste even better after they’ve had a chance to sit in the fridge for a day or so.
They get both chewier and fudgier, and I think both the taste and texture improve by the second day. If you can help it, wait to dig in until they’ve had a chance to chill.
Since these frosted fudge brownies taste even better the next day, they are a great make-ahead dessert. The brownies keep well, and they taste just as good the second and third days.
More brownie recipes!
Frosted Fudge Brownies
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons butter softened
- 2 1/2-3 cups powdered
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-5 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking pan. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in cocoa. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar until blended.
- Combine flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to egg mixture.
- Stir in vanilla and the cooled chocolate mixture until well blended.
- Spread into prepared baking pan. Bake for 20-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a few fudgy crumbs (do not overbake).
- Cool on a wire rack.
For frosting, in a large bowl, cream butter and powdered sugar until well-combined.
Beat in cocoa and vanilla.
- Add enough milk until the frosting achieves spreading consistency.
Spread frosting over cooled brownies.
Store, covered, in the fridge.
For the best results, chill brownies before serving.