Best applesauce cake recipe! This super moist cake is made with honey and applesauce for a simple but satisfying snack cake.
Published 1/14/16. Updated with new photos and tips 2/22/19.
My kids love dessert! And, really, so I.
I try not to discourage their love of dessert, but I do try to find a way to indulge it in a better way.
It can be a challenge, though, to find desserts that my kids want to eat that aren’t super unhealthy.
That’s where this Applesauce Cake comes in. It has three ingredients that my kids love – honey, applesauce, and raisins.
How to make applesauce cake
Begin by whisking the oil, applesauce, eggs, honey, and sugar together in a large mixing bowl.
Add the dry ingredients, and whisk to combine. This is a wet batter.
Stir in the raisins and chopped nuts, if using. I like to use golden raisins, but you can also use regular raisins.
Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, and bake.
Serve topped with a dusting of powdered sugar, if desired. I recommend waiting to dust with powdered sugar until just before serving.
Can I omit the raisins (or nuts)?
You can! Or, if you prefer, you can add all raisins or all nuts.
How to store this cake
Since this cake is so moist, it’s best eaten within 2-3 days if stored at room temperature.
It can be stored, covered, in the fridge for up to one week.
If dusting with powdered sugar, it’s best to wait until just before serving.
More apple cake recipes!
If you’ve tried this applesauce cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
- 1/3 cup neutral oil
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup raisins optional
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans or walnuts optional
- Powdered sugar optional
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 9x13 cake pan and set aside.
- In a separate large bowl, whisk oil, applesauce, eggs, sugar, and honey.
- Add dry ingredients and use a rubber spatula to combine. Add raisins and walnuts and stir to combine.
- Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 20-30 minutes, or until the top springs back when you touch it, and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place the pan on a wire cooling rack to cool.
- Dust with powdered sugar before serving, if desired.