Instant Pot Mac and Cheese is the fastest, easiest way to make mac and cheese! This simple dump-and-go recipe is all made in the Instant Pot – no need to make a separate sauce.
I make a lot of dinner recipes, and we don’t have much of a regular rotation. But this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese has made it onto what passes for a regular rotation at our house.
It’s easy to make, and it’s simple comfort food. It also uses basic pantry staples that I always have on hand.
This mac and cheese takes less than 30 minutes total to make, and that includes the time it takes for the IP to come to pressure. Also, there’s no need to make a separate sauce. Everything is made right in the inner pot, which makes it faster and leaves fewer dirty dishes to clean up.
How To Make Mac And Cheese In The Instant Pot
First add the pasta to the inner pot and add enough water to cover the pasta by 1 inch. Then, put the lid on and lock it in place.
Move the pressure release valve to SEALING. Cook for Manual for 5 minutes.
Turn the pressure release valve to VENTING. Drain the pasta, and return to the inner pot.
Stir in the milk and spices. Press cancel, and then press saute.
Continue cooking for about 5 minutes, or until pasta is tender. Continue stirring regularly during that time to avoid scorching.
Press cancel, and then stir in cheese until cheese has melted.
Tips For Making Instant Pot Mac And Cheese
- I usually use cavatappi pasta. I’ve found that it holds us well to pressure cooking. I’ve also used large elbow macaroni. If you use a smaller noodle, you may find that you need to ajust the cooking time.
- Normally, I’m not a fan of using packaged shredded cheese in macaroni and cheese. In my stovetop mac and cheese recipe, I recommend using blocks of cheese. However, store-bought shredded cheese works well in this recipe.
- You can vary the cheese to change the flavor. Sharp cheddar will give you a stronger flavor; mild cheddar a milder flavor. Monterrey Jack and cheddar will give you a nice ooey gooey mac and cheese. We also like triple cheddar cheese blends in this.
- Sometimes I even thrown in some shredded parmesan cheese for a little more bite.
More Instant Pot Recipes!
- Indian Butter Chicken Instant Pot Recipe
- Instant Pot Korean Beef
- Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
- Instant Pot Beef Stroganoff
If you’ve tried this Instant Pot mac and cheese recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Instant Pot Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces dry shaped pasta1
- 3-5 cups water
- 12 ounce can evaporated milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 8 ounces shredded Monterrey Jack cheese2
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar Cheese
- Add pasta to the inner pot of the pressure cooker.
- Add enough water cover pasta by 1 inch. Depending on the shape of the pasta, it usually takes 3-5 cups of water.
- Lock lid in place, and turn pressure release valve to SEALING.
- Cook on MANUAL/HIGH pressure for 5 minutes.
- Carefully turn pressure release valve to VENTING.
- Unlock lid, and drain pasta.
- Return pasta to inner pot.
- Add milk, salt, pepper, and dry mustard and stir to combine.
- Press CANCEL.
- Stir in cheese, and continue stirring until cheese has melted and is combined.
- I like to use cavatappi.
- I've used a number of combinations of cheeses.Feel free to use the types of shredded cheese that you like.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Adapted from America’s Test Kitchen.