Tomato Soup Cake with Praline Topping is a tomato soup cake topped with a homemade praline topping. Tastes like a super moist pumpkin cake!
Happy April Fool’s Day! I hope you all had a fantastic Easter weekend!! Since it’s April Fool’s Day, I wanted to do one of those cute desserts that are all over Pinterest that look like a totally different food – like gummy sushi or hamburger cupcakes.
The problem with that is that my decorating skills are virtually nonexistent. So, instead, I made a cake with an ingredient that you don’t usually see in desserts – tomato soup.
There was a tomato soup cake craze about 50 years ago, but they don’t get a lot of attention these days.
It’s too bad because this cake rocks! It tastes similar to a pumpkin spice cake.
Can I use reduced-sodium tomato soup?
If you’re worried about the sodium in soup, feel free to use a low or reduced sodium soup.
You may need to increase the spices a little, though, if you go that route.
More spice cake recipes!
If you’ve tried this tomato soup cake recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Tomato Soup Cake with Praline Sauce
- 1/4 c . butter (softened)
- 1/2 c . granulated sugar
- 1/4 c . brown sugar (packed)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 10 ¾ oz. can condensed tomato soup¹
- 1 c . all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c . whole-wheat flour
- 1 tsp . baking soda
- 1/2 tsp . baking powder
- 2 tsp . cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp . allspice
- 1/2 tsp . ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp . ground cloves
- 3/4 c . brown sugar (packed)
- 1/2 c . butter
- 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 tsp . vanilla
- Pinch kosher salt
- 1 c chopped pecans (toasted)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan².
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream butter and sugars together.
- Add the egg, and beat well.
- Stir in soup.
- In a small bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda, baking powder, and spices.
- Add flour mixture, and stir until just combined.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven, and let cool in pan 5-10 minutes.
- Turn cake out onto wire rack to finish cooling.
- To make the praline topping, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat.
- When the butter is mostly melted, stir in brown sugar and milk.
- Bring to boil, and boil 3-4 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla, salt, and pecans.
- Let it sit for 5 minutes.
- Spoon over cake(s), and serve warm.
- Reduced sodium tomato soup is ok to use in this recipe. However, you may want to increase the amount of spices to add more flavor.
- To bake as mini bundt cakes, grease a 6-bundt bundt pan. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Nutrition values are estimates.