Lemon garlic chicken is an easy, tasty weeknight creamy chicken dinner recipe. This simple one-skillet meal is ready in just 30 minutes.
It seems like every season is a busy season. I always think things like when the holidays are over, or when back to school is over, that life will calm down.
But it never does.
And, at the end of the day, we still have to eat dinner. That’s why it’s nice to have a quick dinner recipe at the end of a long day.
This lemon garlic chicken is a super easy, super tasty dinner recipe. It’s ready in about 30 minutes, which makes it perfect for busy weeknights.
How To Make Lemon Garlic Chicken
If your chicken breast halves are thicker than 1/2-inch, use a meat mallet to pound the chicken to 1/2-inch chickeness. Season chicken wil salt and pepper.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet, and cook chicken until it reaches 165 F. Remove chicken to a plate and tent with aluminum foil to keep warm.
Chop the shallot and mince the garlic.
Add the garlic, shallots, broth, wine, and lemon juice to the now-empty skillet. Simmer until the liquid reduces down to about 1/2 cup, about 10-15 minutes.
Remove from heat and whisk in the cream and butter.
Return the chicken to the pan and spoon the sauce over the chicken. Sprinkle with fresh thyme just before serving.
What To Serve With Lemon Garlic Chicken
I like to pair lemon garlic chicken recipe with a green salad and some whole grain bread to keep things simple and easy.
This chicken also pairs well with rosemary potato wedges and steamed vegetables.
Tips To Make Lemon Garlic Chicken
- You can either use chicken breast halves or cut a larger chicken breast in half horizontally. Larger chicken breasts won’t cook in the given time.
- I recommend using reduced-sodium or no salt chicken broth so that you can control the level of salt in this dish.
- If you prefer not to use white wine, you can sub an equal amount of chicken broth in its place.
- Red onion can be used in place of the shallot.
- I highly recommend using a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the chicken so that you don’t under or over cook it.
How Long Will This Keep?
This chicken will keep for up to 4 days when stored covered in the fridge.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes!
If you’ve tried this lemon garlic chicken recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Lemon Garlic Chicken
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4-6 ounce boneless skinless chicken breasts halves1
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 small shallot2 finely diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Fresh thyme
- Using a meat mallet, pound down the chicken breasts to ½-inch thickness.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add chicken, and cook until chicken reaches 165 F.
- Remove chicken to a plate, and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Whisk broth, white wine, lemon juice, garlic, and shallots into now empty skillet, scraping up any browned bits.
- Simmer sauce until it reduces down to about 1/2 cup, about 10-15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, and whisk in butter and cream.
- Return chicken to pan, and spoon sauce over the chicken.
- Sprinkle with fresh thyme just before serving.
- You'll want thin chicken breasts. If you can't find chicken breast halves, you can cut a larger chicken breast in half horizontally.
- If you can't find a shallot, substitute 1/4 cup finely diced red onion.
- Nutrition facts are estimates.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @i_heart_eating and follow on Youtube @katedean and Pinterest @katedean for more!
Originally published 12/7/17. Updated with new photos and tips 8/6/19.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!
Comments & Reviews
So easy to put together and such minimal cleanup – and it’s delicious. Total win! I serve this with some buttered orzo and double the sauce (because frankly, we could drink the stuff haha!)
I love this recipe! I like to use red onion instead of shallot for personal taste, I get more of a bite. And I like to thicken the sauce up just a bit, it’s so good I want it to stick to my chicken! Thank you for the recipe!
Thank you! I’m so glad that you like it and that you were able to make those tweaks for your taste. =)
It was a hit at our dinner table. The thyme is great with the lemon, garlic and shallots.
Thank you! I’m so glad that you liked it. Thanks for commenting!
Jennifer Denham says
Delicious and makes a beautiful presentation!
Thank you! So glad that you liked it! Thanks for commenting. =)
Easy and tasty! This one is a keeper. Thanks!
Great! So glad you liked it! =)
Linda Johnson says
In today’s newsletter, there is a picture for Crock Pot Balsamic Beef. Every time that I click on it, I end up at this recipe (One Skillet Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken). I even looked through the beef recipes and the slow cooker recipes. No luck finding Crock Pot Balsamic Beef
I’m sorry about that! Here is the link to the crock pot balsamic beef recipe.