These bars are a delicious alternative to the usual cereal treat bars. Rather than using jelly in these bars, I decided to go with freeze dried strawberries. If you've never tried freeze dried strawberries, grab yourself a bag, and enjoy! My kids and I love snacking on them. And they give these bars a tart fruitiness that mimics jelly without all the gooey jelly mess (if you want the gooey jelly goodness, you might like my PB&J sandwich cookies instead). Or, if you're looking for more easy dessert recipes, you might like my Samoas Chex mix recipe.
PB&J Cap’n Crunch Treats
- 2 T . butter
- 3/4 c . peanut butter (creamy or crunchy)
- 4 c . mini marshmallows
- Pinch of salt
- 4 c . Cap’n Crunch
- 1 c . freeze-dried strawberries , broken into medium-sized pieces
1. Lightly coat an 8x8-inch pan with cooking spray.
2. In a large saucepan, melt butter and peanut butter together.
3. Stir in marshmallows. Continue cooking (and stirring) until marshmallows are melted and incorporated into peanut butter mixture.
4. Remove the pan from heat, and stir in salt, Cap’n Crunch, and strawberries.
5. Scoop mixture into prepared pan, and gently press it evenly into pan.
6. Let cool to room temperature.
7. Cut into squares to serve.