I’ve been really enjoying the fresh peaches lately, and this Peach Brown Betty is one of my fresh peach desserts. It has layers of fresh peaches, brown sugar, butter, and an almond-crumb mixtures. Top with a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream, and you have the perfect summer dessert.
Peach Brown Betty
- 6 c . fresh peach slices , peeled
- 1 tsp . cider vinegar or 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp . vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp . ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp . ground nutmeg
- 2 c . day-old bread , in large pieces (sandwich bread heels also work well)
- 1/2 c . almonds
- 2/3 c . brown sugar
- 1/4 c . butter , in small cubes
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Butter a deep 9x9-inch baking dish.
- In a medium bowl, toss together peach slices, vinegar, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg; set aside.
- Pulse together bread and almonds in a food processor until it forms crumbs.
- Spread half of the bread crumb/almond mixture in prepared pan.
- Pour in half peach mixture.
- Sprinkle half brown sugar over peaches.
- Top sugar with half of the butter.
- Pour remaining peaches over butter.
- Sprinkle remaining sugar over peaches, and then top with remaining bread crumb mixture.
- Add remaining butter cubes over bread crumb mixture.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil, and bake for 30-35 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.