Peanut butter is practically a food group in my house.
Between the peanut butter sandwiches, peanut stew, peanut chicken, and so many other foods, we eat a lot of peanut butter.
These peanut butter and jelly cookies are my favorite peanut butter cookies. The cookies are chewy and are a great mix of salty and sweet. They’re great topped with a little jelly or with some jelly sandwiched in between two cookies for a dessert sandwich.
Peanut Butter and Jelly Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter at cool room temperature
- 1/2 cup creamy or crunchy peanut butter not natural
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped lightly salted peanuts
- In a large bowl, beat butter and peanut butter together.
- Add sugars, and beat until well-combined.
- Mix in egg and vanilla until combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir until combined.
- Stir in chopped nuts.
- Cover, and chill dough for 1 hour, or until firm.
- Toward the end of the chilling time, preheat oven to 350 F.
- Scoop out 1.5 tablespoons of dough and place on prepared cookie sheet 2 inches apart. I've slightly flattened the cookies and left them as-is, and it doesn't seem to make much difference.
- Bake 10-15 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned and middles are set.
- Let cookies cool on the cookie sheet for 5 minutes.
- Remove to wire rack, and let finish cooling.
- Top cookies with jelly or spread jelly between two cookies to make a sandwich.