This year I didn’t make much in the way of resolutions. My minor resolutions – like eating more protein – are pretty boring! I think that must mean that I’m getting old!
Since i’m hoping to add more protein to our diet this year, this Quinoa Lasagna seemed like a good way to start. It’s got all the cheesy, saucy goodness of lasagna, but it substitutes the lasagna noodles for cooked quinoa. It also has a mix of ricotta and cottage cheese for even more protein (and cheesy goodness). It’s hot and hearty and hard to beat!
Quinoa Lasagna Recipe
- 4 c . cooked quinoa
- 2 c . marinara sauce
- 15 oz can Italian diced tomatoes with basil and oregano
- 6 oz can tomato paste
- 1/2 c . fat-free or regular half-and-half
- 1 c . part-skim ricotta
- 1 c . cottage cheese (low-fat or full-fat)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 T . Italian seasoning
- 2 c . shredded mozzarella (divided)
- 4 oz . fresh mozzarella (sliced)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Lightly grease casserole dish; set aside.
- Stir together marinara, tomatoes with juice, half-and-half, and tomato paste over low heat, stirring occasionally.
- While the marinara mixture is warming, stir together ricotta, cottage cheese, garlic, Italian seasoning, and salt and pepper, to taste.
- Place half of cooked quinoa in baking dish.
- Top with half of ricotta cheese mixture, one-third of marinara mixture, and 1 cup of shredded mozzarella.
- Repeat layers with remaining cooked quinoa, ricotta cheese mixture, marinara mixture, and shredded mozzarella.
- Top with sliced fresh mozzarella.
- Bake for about 10-15 minutes, or until hot.
- If desired, turn to broil, and lightly brown cheese.
Want even more healthy vegetarian dinner recipes?
Lentil Bolognese (vegan, gluten free)
Black Bean Southwest Salad (vegetarian, gluten free)
Black Bean Lasagna (vegetarian, gluten free)