I make a lot of upside-down cakes and other simple one layer cakes like this Salted Caramel Apple Upside-Down Cake.
They are easy to put together, taste great, and they’re the perfect size for dessert our family.
This cake is a whole wheat spice cake topped with a layer of soft baked apples and salted caramel sauce.
Between the buttermilk, Greek yogurt, and olive oil, the cake is nice and moist without being too rich or greasy.
The apples and warm spices make it the perfect Fall dessert (and it’s also really good the next morning for breakfast!).
Salted Caramel Apple Upside-Down Cake
- 1 c . all-purpose flour
- 1/2 c . whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp . ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp . ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp . ground ginger
- 1/2 tsp . baking soda
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- 1/4 c . olive oil
- 1/2 c . brown sugar (packed)
- 1/4 c . granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 c . low-fat buttermilk
- 1/4 c . plain (nonfat Greek yogurt)
- 1/2 tsp . vanilla extract
- 1 c . salted caramel sauce (plus extra for drizzling)
- 1 c . peeled (thinly sliced apples)
- 1/4 c . chopped pecans or walnuts
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9-inch round cake pan; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together olive oil and sugars.
- Add egg, buttermilk, Greek yogurt, and vanilla extract. Whisk in until well-combined.
- Whisk in flour mixture until just combined.
- Pour salted caramel sauce into the bottom of cake pan.
- Arrange apple slices over caramel, and sprinkle nuts over apples.
- Carefully pour batter over apple slices.
- Set the cake pan on a cookie sheet.
- Bake for 30-35, or until a wooden toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan for 10 minutes.
- Loosen and invert onto plate to finish cooling.
- Drizzle with additional salted caramel sauce.