Slow cooker and company-worthy don’t usually go together.
This Slow Cooker Beef Ragu is the exception to that, though. This sauce is as easy as it is good. Browning takes a few extra minutes, but it also adds an extra layer of flavor.
This sauce is delicious served over pasta, but it would be good over just about anything.
One note – if you aren’t sure where to find San Marzano tomatoes, check on the bottom shelf where you would normally find canned tomatoes.
That’s where I’ve always been able to find them.
And their lower acidity and great taste make them worth looking for.
More slow cooker beef recipes!
Slow Cooker Beef Ragu
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 pounds beef rump roast
- 1 cup minced white onion
- 6 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2-28 ounce cans San Marzano whole tomatoes
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons salt
- black pepper to taste
- Heat a large skillet.
- Add olive oil to the skillet.
- Add the roast, and brown on each side.
- Put the browned roast in the slow cooker.
- Add all of the remaining ingredients.
- Cover, and cook on low for 8-10 hours.
- Shred the beef with two forks and return to sauce.
- Serve sauce over pasta.
Adapted from Pinch of Yum.