This is the kind of dinner that makes life easier. There’s minimal prep involved before you toss everything in the slow cooker, and it makes plenty of leftovers.
The chicken is super tender and juicy, and it works well to make tacos, burritos, quesadillas or tostadas. The chicken has a pretty balanced mix of cilantro and lime flavors, but if you want a stronger punch of lime, you can zest the limes and add the zest along with the juice.
I top our slow cooker cilantro lime chicken with a mix of pico de gallo, corn salsa, and a sprinkle of queso fresco for simple, fresh Tex Mex that rivals any take out.
Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken
- 1 small yellow or white onion
- 4 lbs . boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 c . fresh lime juice about 3-4 limes
- 2 T . olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small bunch cilantro
- Dice onion, and place in the bottom of slow cooker.
- Add chicken on top of onion.
- Stir together lime juice and olive oil.
- Pour over chicken.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place cilantro over chicken.
- Cover, and cook on low for 7-8 hours, or until chicken shreds easily.
- Remove chicken to plate.
- Turn slow cooker to WARM.
- Puree sauce, and return to slow cooker.
- Shred chicken, and place back in sauce in slow cooker.
- Cover, and let sit in sauce for about 20-30 minutes.