Since Mother’s Day is right around the corner, I thought a cute, fruity dessert was in order.
The buttery graham cracker cookie crust, cream cheese pastry cream, and juicy strawberries are a delicious combination.
This recipe takes a bit of time to put together, but it isn’t difficult. And when it’s for Mom, then the little bit of extra time is totally worth it.
Strawberry Cream Cheese Tart
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 c . butter (softened)
- 1/4 c . granulated sugar
- 1/4 c . brown sugar
- 1/4 c . honey
- 1 ½ c . all-purpose flour
- 1 c . whole wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp . salt
- 1/2 tsp . baking soda
- 1/2 tsp . ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Pastry Cream
- 1 ½ c . milk (, divided)
- 1/2 c . granulated sugar (, divided)
- 6 large egg yolks
- 1/4 c . cornstarch
- 8 ounce package cream cheese, softened and cut into cubes (reduced-fat is ok)
- 1 tsp . vanilla extract
- 3 c . strawberries
- To make the graham cracker crust, cream butter with granulated sugar, brown sugar, and honey in the bowl until mixture is smooth and well-combined.
- Add remaining crust ingredients, and stir until combined, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Form dough into a disk, and wrap with plastic wrap.
- Chill dough at least 1 hour, or until dough is firm.
- Lightly flour a surface, and roll out dough to a 14-inch round.
- Place dough in an 11-inch tart pan with a removable bottom.
- Prick the dough all over with a fork.
- Chill dough for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Bake chilled crust until golden golden brown and set, about 30 minutes.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- To make the cream cheese pastry cream, combine 1 cup milk and 1/4 cup sugar in a medium saucepan.
- Bring milk mixture just to a simmer over medium heat. Remove from heat.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together yolks, cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup sugar.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup cold milk to yolk mixture, and whisk until smooth.
- Add 1/4 cup hot milk mixture to egg mixture, whisking constantly to combine.
- Add another 1/4 cup hot milk to egg mixture, whisking constantly until combined.
- Whisk egg and milk mixture back to remaining hot milk in saucepan.
- Bring entire mixture to a boil, whisking constantly. Cook 1 to 2 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from heat, and stir in cream cheese and vanilla until smooth and well-combined.
- Let pastry cream cool to about room temperature, and then cover the surface directly with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming.
- Refrigerate until cold.
- To assemble, spoon or pipe pastry cream into tart shell, smoothing surface as needed.
- Arrange strawberries over pastry cream.
- Chill slightly before serving.
adapted from driscolls.com