The ingredients for this pizza sound kinda weird. I guess if they were on a sandwich, they wouldn’t seem strange at all. However, even though I love mustard, I was a little nervous about spreading it all over a pizza crust. It just felt wrong. I’m glad that I ignored those feelings because this pizza was goooooood. I know when my husband, son, and I are all vying for the leftovers that I’ve found a real winner. This was also a fun way to use leftover Cuban pork in a completely new way.
Adapted in part from hungryhousewife.com and in part from ourbestbites.com
1 1/2 c. warm (105-115 degrees) water
1 T. sugar
1 T. yeast
1 tsp. honey
1/2 tsp. salt
3 ½ -4 ½ c. flour
1/4 c. mustard
1 c. shredded mozzarella
1/2 c. shredded Swiss cheese
2-3 spears pickles, chopped (I used Hell Fire pickles)
1 c. leftover Cuban pork roast (recipe here – http://ihearteating.com/2012/02/21/slow-cooker-cuban-pork/)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon onion powder
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
1/8 teaspoon chili powder
- To make the dough, in the bowl of your mixer, combine water, sugar, yeast, and honey. Let stand for 5-10 minutes, or until yeast is bubbly.
- Add salt and stir.
- Add 1 1/2 c. flour and mix well. Gradually add more flour, about 2-3 more cups, until dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl, and it barely sticks to your finger.
- Spray a glass or metal bowl with cooking spray and place dough in the bowl. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until doubled in bulk.
- Remove from bowl and place on a lightly-floured surface.
- Preheat oven to 425 F.
- Roll out your pizza dough and transfer to a pizza stone or pizza pan. Reshape if necessary.
- Prick the dough several times with a fork. Brush the crust very lightly with olive oil and very lightly sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Bake the crust for about 5-10 minutes. Remove from oven.
- To make the pizza, spread the crust with mustard.
- Stir together the salt, paprika, pepper, onion powder, oregano, cumin, garlic powder, and chili powder. Sprinkle over the mustard.
- Sprinkle mozzarella cheese over mustard and spices.
- Distribute the pork over the mozzarella.
- Sprinkle the Swiss cheese over the pork.
- Scatter the pickles over the Swiss cheese.
- Bake in the oven for about 8-10 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the crust is browned.