Neiman Marcus $250 Chocolate Chip Cookies AKA urban legend cookies or $250 cookies are the delicious chocolate chip cookies made with ground oatmeal.
Published 10/7/12. Last updated 4/15/19.
These cookies are based on the $250 Neiman Marcus chocolate chip cookie urban legend.
The story is that a lady was lunching at Neiman Marcus, and she asked for the cookie recipe.
The waitress replied that it would be “2-50”.
Thinking that they meant “$2.50”, the lady agreed.
Then, when she recieved her bill, she found a charge for “$250”.
The store refused to refund the charge, and so she decided to have some fun by passing the recipe out.
I have no idea whether or the story ever happened, but I do know that these are yummy cookies.
What is cool room temperature butter?
Cool room temperature is the stage when the butter retain a little dent when you poke it.
If the butter smooshes, it’s too warm. If it doesn’t give at all, it’s too cool.
More chocolate chip cookie recipes!
- Easiest Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Chewy Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookie Recipe
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
If you’ve tried this Neiman Marcus cookie recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Neiman Marcus $250 Cookie Recipe
- 2 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 1 cup butter (at cool room temperature)
- 1 cup brown sugar (packed)
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 12 ounce package semisweet chocolate chips
- 4 ounces semisweet baking chocolate (grated)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- Measure oats into a blender or food processor, and then blend to a fine powder. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Add flour, ground oats, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Stir dry ingredients into creamed butter and sugar just until combined.
- Add chocolate chips and grated chocolate.
- Stir in just until incorporated.
- Cover, and chill dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Drop by 1.5 tablespoon scoops (medium cookie scoop) onto prepared cookie sheets, spacing about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes, or until middles are set and edges are light golden brown.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes, and then remove to wire cooling rack.