Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Gooey, buttery, brown sugar pineapple tops tender white cake in this classic Pineapple Upside-Down Cake recipe. Plus just one bowl and 10 minutes of prep!
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 8 servings
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 20 ounce can sliced pineapple
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup milk¹
- 1/4 cup butter²
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Melt butter in bottom of 9-inch round cake pan.
Sprinkle brown sugar over butter.
Add pineapple slices over brown sugar. Set aside.
Add cake ingredients to a large bowl.
Mix on low for 30 seconds.
Turn speed to high, and beat on high for 1 minute.
Pour batter over pineapple slices, smoothing as needed.
Bake for 30-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.³
Run a thin knife around the edge of the pan.
Let cool to room temperature, and invert to serve.
- Anything from skim to whole milk will work. Dairy-free milks like almond milk will also work.
- An equal amount of shortening can be substituted for the butter.
- The cake will bake up to the top of the pan. If you're concerned that the topping may bubble over, set the cake pan on a cookie sheet to bake it.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 331kcal | Carbohydrates: 58g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 195mg | Potassium: 252mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 41g | Vitamin A: 200IU | Vitamin C: 6.7mg | Calcium: 93mg | Iron: 1.4mg