Moist gingerbread cake recipe
Prep Time 10 minutes
Cook Time 30 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 12 servings
- 1/2 cup butter melted
- 2/3 cup brown sugar* packed
- 1 cup molasses not blackstrap
- 1 large egg
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot water
Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease and flour a 9-inch square pan.
In a large bowl, stir together the butter and sugar.
Stir in the molasses.
Beat in the egg.
In a separate medium bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, allspice, and nutmeg.
Stir the dry ingredients into the molasses mixture until just combined. Batter will be thick.
Mix in the hot water.
Pour into the prepared pan.
Bake 30-40 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Allow to cool in pan before serving.
*If you like your gingerbread sweeter, increase brown sugar to 1 cup. Light or dark brown sugar will work.