Barbecue Shepherd's Pie
Barbecue beef topped with cheesy mashed potatoes
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 45 minutes
- 1 1/2 pounds Russet potatoes peeled and cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 8-10 ounce package frozen whole kernel yellow corn
- 1/2 cup chopped white or yellow onion
- 14.5 ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1 teaspoon mesquite or barbecue seasoning blend optional*
- 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
Preheat oven to 350 F.
In a large saucepan cook potatoes in enough lightly salted boiling water to cover for 15-20 minutes, or until tender; drain.
Mash with a potato masher.
Add sour cream, milk, salt, and pepper, and mash to combine.
Stir in 1/2 cup cheese.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet cook ground beef until browned.
Drain grease, and return meat to skillet.
Stir in corn, onion, tomatoes with juice, barbecue sauce, spice mixture, and liquid smoke.
Bring to boil.
Reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
Spoon beef mixture into a 2.5-quart baking dish.
Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup cheese over beef mixture.
Spoon mashed potatoes in 6 mounds over beef mixture.
Bake about 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese melts.
*If you have a seasoning mix that you like to use on burgers, you can use that.
**Nutrition values are estimates.
Serving: 1g | Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 100mg | Sodium: 1001mg | Potassium: 1296mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 515IU | Vitamin C: 17mg | Calcium: 234mg | Iron: 5.1mg