Homemade Hamburger Helper
Easy recipe to make hamburger helper at home.
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 10 servings
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup finely diced yellow or white onion
- 16 ounces dry elbow macaroni pasta
- 3 cups beef or chicken broth
- 28 ounce can crushed tomato
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt*
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ancho chile powder
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese plus extra for topping
Heat a Dutch oven or large deep skillet over medium-high heat.
Add beef, and cook until browned.
Drain ground beef, and return to skillet.
Stir in onion, and, stirring regularly, cook until just softened, about 3 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients EXCEPT cheese, and stir to combine.
Bring to simmer, and reduce heat to medium-low. You want the mixture to simmer gently, not boil.
Cook for about 10 minutes, or until most of the liquid is absorbed but mixture is still saucy. At this point, the pasta should be al dente.
Stir in cheese.
Sprinkle with additional cheese, if desired.
Remove from heat, and serve.
*Substitutions: 2% or full-fat plain Greek yogurt, regular sour cream, and lite sour cream.
**I sprinkled a little chopped fresh parsley over the pasta to brighten it up for the pictures. It isn't necessary for the finished dish.
***Nutrition values are estimates.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 394kcal | Carbohydrates: 43g | Protein: 28g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 66mg | Sodium: 392mg | Potassium: 651mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 525IU | Vitamin C: 9.9mg | Calcium: 213mg | Iron: 3.8mg