Homemade Mac and Cheese
Easy homemade mac and cheese recipe
Servings 8 servings
- 16 ounces dry elbow macaroni or large shells
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups milk1
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese2 in small cubes or grated
Cook macaroni according to package directions.
In medium saucepan, melt butter over medium-low heat; stir in flour, and cook for 3-5 minutes stirring constantly to form a roux.
Add dry mustard, salt, and pepper; whisk in to combine.
Slowly whisk in milk, and whisk until well-combined.
Cook, whisking regularly, until thickened. You don't want mixture to boil.
Remove from heat, and stir in cheese a little at a time until fully melted and combined.
Return macaroni to pot, and pour cheese sauce over the top. Toss to combine.
- I've used everything from skim to whole milk. The more fat in the milk, the creamier the sauce.
- I suggest using a good-quality block of cheese rather than a shredded cheese. Some shredded cheese have anti-caking agents that can prevent melting.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 346kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 205mg | Potassium: 249mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 410IU | Calcium: 291mg | Iron: 0.9mg