Morning Glory Muffins
Moist morning glory muffins packed with fruit, veggies, and more!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 12 muffins
- 1/2 cup raisins¹
- 2 cups peeled and grated carrots
- 1 cup peeled and grated Granny Smith apple
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts or pecans
- 1/3 cup oil²
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup buttermilk³
- 1 cup finely milled whole-wheat flour⁴
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup light brown sugar packed
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Preheat the oven to 375F. Lightly grease a 12-cup muffin tin, or line it with paper liners.
In a medium bowl, whisk together the raisins, carrots, apples, coconut, and nuts. Set aside.
In a separate large bowl, whisk oil, eggs, and vanilla together until combined.
Whisk in buttermilk until combined.
Add flours, brown sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, and salt. Whisk in just until incorporated.
Stir in raisin mixture.
Divide the batter between the prepared muffin tins.
Bake the muffins for 23-28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of one of the muffins comes out clean.
Remove from the oven, and let cool in pans for 5 minutes.
Remove to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Golden or regular. Can also use part raisins, part dried cranberries.
- Oils like canola or melted coconut work well in this recipe.
- Regular or low-fat ok.
- Be sure to measure the flours properly to avoid adding extra flour. Aerate or sift the flours, spoon, and then level.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 298kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 41mg | Sodium: 333mg | Potassium: 260mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 22g | Vitamin A: 3630IU | Vitamin C: 2.3mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1.6mg