Skillet Red Beans and Rice
Red beans and rice in an easy skillet dinner that's ready in about 40 minutes.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced green pepper
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 14 ounce polska kielbasa1 diced
- 1 cup medium or long-grain white rice
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 14 ounce can red beans rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning2 or to taste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh parsley
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium-high.
Add the onion, celery, and green pepper, and sauté until vegetables become soft and translucent, about 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add in the garlic, and cook, stirring continuously, for about 30 seconds.
Remove vegetables to a plate.
Add kielbasa to now-empty skillet, and cook until heated through.
Remove to plate.
Add the rice and chicken broth to the now-empty skillet.
Bring to a boil.
Reduce heat to medium-low.
Cover, and cook until rice is tender and has absorbed the chicken broth, about 15-20 minutes.
Uncover, and stir in the beans, seasoning, salt, and pepper.
Remove from heat, and stir in cooked vegetables and kielbasa.
Serve sprinkled with fresh parsley.
- Can substitute andouille sausage if you prefer.
- Feel free to use as much or as little Cajun seasoning as you like.
- If you're short on time, feel free to use a pre-chopped onion/celery/green pepper blend.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Serving: 1serving | Calories: 450kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 16g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 46mg | Sodium: 1077mg | Potassium: 553mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 855IU | Vitamin C: 25.9mg | Calcium: 61mg | Iron: 2.6mg