This is one of my new favorite recipes. Seriously, there isn’t much to it, but it’s really, really good. I wasn’t so sure about the whole zucchini noodle thing, but I have to say that I’m a believer. Even my husband who isn’t a big fan of zucchini really likes this. Now, since it has zucchini noodles, it isn’t a true lasagna. But zucchini noodle skillet lasagna-like bake just doesn’t have much of a ring to it.
This zoodle lasagna is also really fast. This has become my go-to dinner when I’m short on time and want something easy and healthy. Waiting for the cheese to melt is the longest step in this recipe, and the whole thing is ready to go in about 20 minutes.
Skillet Zoodle Lasagna
- 1 T . olive oil
- 1 c . finely diced onion
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 6 zucchini
- 1 oz . can diced tomatoes drained, 14.5
- 1 c . part-skim ricotta
- 3/4 c . low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 T . Italian seasoning
- 8 oz . tomato sauce
- 1 c . shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 c . grated Parmesan cheese plus extra for sprinkling, if desired
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Heat olive oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add onion, and cook until soft, about 3-5 minutes.
- While the onion is cooking, cut zucchini into ribbons using julienner. I stop when I hit the seedy core of the zucchini because it's grittier and doesn't hold together as well as the outer layers. Set aside.
- Add garlic to the skillet, and cook, stirring frequently, for 30 seconds.
- Stir in zucchini noodles, and cook for 1 minute.
- Stir in drained tomatoes.
- Mix together ricotta and cottage cheese, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper, and drop dollops over zoodles.
- Layer tomato sauce, mozzarella cheese, and Parmesan cheese over ricotta mixture.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Serve topped with an extra sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, if desired.