Chocolate Crinkle Cookies
Chocolate crinkle cookie recipe. Please read the recipe and notes. There are also step-by-step photos and tips above the recipe.
Prep Time 25 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Resting 10 minutes
Total Time 35 minutes
Servings 24 cookies
- 1 cup+ 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour¹ properly measured
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder²
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 ½ cups brown sugar packed
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate chopped
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 325 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats. Set aside.
Whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda, and salt together in bowl. Please read the note about measuring flour.
Combine chocolate and butter in a microwave-safe bowl, and microwave at 50% power, stirring occasionally, until melted, about 2-3 minutes.
In a separate bowl, whisk brown sugar; eggs, and vanilla together until well-combined.
Whisk in the chocolate mixture until combined. Fold in flour mixture until no dry streaks remain. Let dough sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
Fold in flour mixture until just incorporated.
Let dough sit at room temperature for 10 minutes.
Place granulated sugar and powdered sugar in separate shallow dishes.
Working with 1.5 tablespoons dough (a medium cookie scoop) at a time, drop scoop of dough into granulated sugar.
Roll in granulated sugar, and then roll in powdered sugar.
Place dough about 2 inches apart on prepared baking pan.
Bake cookies, 1 sheet at a time, until puffed and cracked and edges have begun to set but centers are still soft. The cookies will look raw between cracks and seem underdone, about 9-12 minutes.³
Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for about 10 minutes before removing to wire cooling rack.
- To properly measure the flour, aerate it (stir it), then spoon it into the measuring cup, and level. Packing the flour will give you a dry, crumbly cookie.
- Either unsweetened baking cocoa or Dutch processed cocoa powder is ok.
- It's better that the cookies stay a little underbaked. That will help the cookies to stay soft.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Serving: 1cookie | Calories: 163kcal | Carbohydrates: 28g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 90mg | Potassium: 121mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 17g | Vitamin A: 90IU | Calcium: 31mg | Iron: 1.8mg