Easy guacamole recipe makes homemade guacamole with just 6 ingredients in 5 minutes. Serve this simple guacamole with tacos, burritos, nachos, and more!
This simple guacamole recipe is as delicious as it is easy! It’s made with just 6 ingredients and takes just 5 minutes to make.
Guacamole makes a quick appetizer or a delicious topping for everything from tacos to nachos to quesadillas. Check out all of the variation ideas to make this guacamole your own!
- Mashed avocados – You’ll need some ripe and creamy avocados for mashing.
- Lime juice – Fresh lime juice gives the guacamole a bright flavor and helps to slow down the browning of the guacamole.
- Cilantro – A classic herb taste in guacamole.
- Onion – Gives texture and additional flavor.
- Spices – Coriander and salt also add flavor to the guacamole.
How to make homemade guacamole
Step1: Halve the avocados and remove the pit.
Step 2: Scoop the flesh into a bowl and roughly mash with a fork or a potato masher.
Step 3: Add the lime juice, cilantro, onions, coriander, and a pinch of salt.
Step 4: Stir until combined. Add additional salt or seasonings to taste.
Tips for choosing a ripe avocado
Look for a dark avocado. Gently press on the avocado. It should give just a little. If it feels really soft, it’s overripe. If it doesn’t give, it’s underripe.
Another way to check for ripeness is to look under the stem. The stem should pop off with gently pressure. It shouldn’t fall off or be difficult to remove.
Underneath the stem, the avocado should look green and fresh. If it’s brown underneath the stem, the avocado is old.
This guacamole recipe can easily be changed up to suit your tastes. Here are some ideas!
- Heat: Add diced jalapeño or serrano pepper to give the guac some heat.
- Tomatoes: Diced Roma tomatoes are often added to guacamole.
- Salsa: Pico de gallo makes a great shortcut add-in! It typically contains diced tomatoes, onion, and jalapeño – all of which work well in guacamole.
- Garlic: Add a clove or two of minced garlic for extra flavor.
- Seasoning: For even more flavor, add 1/2 teaspoon each of cumin and garlic powder.
Guacamole can be served with tortilla chips for an easy appetizer or dip. It can also be served as a topping for a number of dishes like tacos, burritos, enchiladas, nachos, and more!
How to store
Place any leftover guacamole in an airtight container. Smooth into an even layer, and press a piece of plastic wrap firmly against the surface. Cover with a lid and store in the refrigerator.
Another trick to keep the guacamole fresh is to smooth it into an even layer in an airtight container. Cover the surface of guacamole with ice water.
Seal the container, and store in the fridge. When you’re ready to serve it, drain off the ice water before serving.
Recipes that go well with guacamole
If you’ve tried this easy guacamole recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Easy Guacamole Recipe
- Mixing bowl
- 2 avocados
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice about 1 lime
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- Pinch of salt
- To prepare the guacamole, halve the avocados and remove the pit.
- Scoop the flesh into a bowl and roughly mash.
- Add the lime juice, cilantro, onions, coriander, and a pinch of salt.
- Mix until combined.
- Add additional salt or seasonings to taste.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!