I’m not sure why I haven’t gotten around to sharing this White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese recipe before now.
This macaroni and cheese is a regular on our dinner rotation and is one of my son’s favorite dinners. And the recipe couldn’t be easier to make. The most difficult part is just waiting for the milk to thicken. The wait is well worth it, though. This white cheddar macaroni and cheese is super delish! The rich and creamy cheese sauce completely makes the macaroni and cheese. Give it a try, and you may decide to add it to your regular dinner rotation, too!
White Cheddar Macaroni and Cheese
- 4 c. milk
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 1/2-1 tsp. dry mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 8 oz. blocks white cheddar cheese cut in small cubes
- 16 oz. dry medium shells or elbow macaroni
- In a large saucepan, whisk milk and flour together.
- Heat milk mixture over medium-low heat, whisking regularly, until thickened. This usually takes about 15-20 minutes for me.
- Meanwhile, cook pasta according to package directions. Set aside.
- Once milk has thickened, remove from heat.
- Stir in dry mustard, salt and pepper to taste, and cubes of cheese.
- Continue stirring until cheese has melted.
- Toss cheese sauce and cooked pasta together, and serve.
- I highly recommend using a good-quality cheese like Cracker Barrel. I've used various store brand cheeses and have found that they just don't melt the same.
- Nutrition values are estimates.