Baked Mac and Cheese is the ultimate comfort food! This easy homemade baked macroni and cheese recipe takes almost no prep and is so rich and cheesy.
Published 2/8/16. Updated with new tips and photos 9/18/18.
When it comes to comfort food, it’s hard to beat a plate of this Baked Macaroni and Cheese.
Growing up, my mom made ridiculously delicious homemade macaroni and cheese, and it was one of my favorite meals on our regular rotation.
As much as I love that mac and cheese, when I want a simple toss and bake meal, I like to make baked mac and cheese.
There’s just something about baking the macaroni and cheese that makes it extra delicious!
I am especially fond of this recipe because it’s so easy and turns out so well.
I’ve tried making baked mac and cheese with several different methods, and, out of all of the recipes that I’ve tried, this recipe makes the best macaroni and cheese.
I’ve also made this recipe so many times, and I’ve tweaked it as I’ve gone to make it easier and nearly fool-proof.
The next time you’re craving macaroni and cheese, give in to your craving with a plate of this baked macaroni and cheese!
How to make baked mac and cheese
This baked mac and cheese is about as easy as it gets! No roux, no premaking the cheese sauce.
Just layer cooked macaroni noodles with shredded cheese and then pour the milk and egg mixture over the top.
Can homemade baked mac and cheese be made ahead?
It can. If you would like to make this mac and cheese ahead of time, increase the amount of evaporated milk by 1 cup.
Cover, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Set the casserole out while the oven preheats, and then add about 5-10 minutes to the baking time.
What goes with baked macaroni and cheese?
For weeknight dinners, I serve this mac and cheese with sautéed spinach or broccoli or a simple green salad.
More mac and cheese recipes!
If you’ve tried this baked macaroni and cheese recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Baked Mac and Cheese
- 16 ounces large elbow macaroni
- 2 tablespoons butter (plus more for baking dish)
- 2-12 ounce cans evaporated milk
- 1 cup half-and-half (regular or fat-free)
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
- 2-8 ounce packages sharp cheddar cheese (shredded*)
- 2-8 ounce packages Monterey Jack cheese (shredded)
- Preheat oven to 375 F. Butter a 13x9-inch baking dish; set aside.
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Drain, and return to pot.
- Add butter, and toss to coat pasta in butter.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together evaporated milk, half-and-half, and eggs.
- Add salt and mustard; set aside.
- In another medium bowl, stir together cheeses; set aside.
- Place 1/3 macaroni in prepared baking dish.
- Top with 1/3 cheese.
- Repeat layers with remaining macaroni and cheese.
- Pour milk mixture evenly over baking dish.
- Cover with foil, and bake for 30-40 minutes, or until hot and cheese is melted.
- Remove foil, carefully stir macaroni, and then sprinkle with extra cheese, if desired.
- Continue baking, uncovered, for about 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and macaroni and heated through.
- Let stand 10-15 minutes before serving.
**If you would like to make this casserole ahead of time, increase the amount of evaporated milk by 1 cup. Cover, and refrigerate for up to 24 hours. Set the casserole out while the oven preheats, and then add about 5-10 minutes to the baking time. ***Nutrition values are estimates.
Adapted from Martha Stewart.