This easy one-skillet lasagna is a quick, delicious dinner that is made in less than half the time of traditional lasagna and cooks entirely in one skillet.
Originally published 8/21/13. Updated with new photos and tips 7/6/18.
When I’m baking, I can spend hours in the kitchen, and I’m completely happy to be there. For some reason, I just don’t feel the same way when it comes to making dinner.
I enjoy coming up with new dinner recipes, but there are a lot of nights that I just want to get something on the table as quickly as possible.
So, I have several recipes that are my quick and easy go-to dinners – like this Easy One-Skillet Lasagna.
This simple skillet lasagna recipe is ready – start to finish – in about 30 minutes, and it doesn’t require much prep, so it’s great for those I-don’t-feel-like-making-dinner nights.
It’s also super tasty, and it is something that everyone at my house will eat. And since it’s made entirely in one skillet, there isn’t much to clean up (yay!).
Can I use a different type of noodle in place of the egg noodles?
Yes! Egg noodles cook up faster and softer than a semolina noodle. If you would like to substitute a different type of noodle, you’ll need to make some adjustments to the recipe.
First, I’ve found that non-egg noodles take longer to cook. The directions on the pasta package should give a good place to start with the time adjustment.
Second, I’ve also found that I needed more liquid in the recipe when I used other types of pasta. I end up adding 1 extra cup of water and 1-15 ounce can crushed tomatoes to make the sauce the consistency that I like.
Can I use a different type of meat in place of ground beef?
Yes! Ground Italian sausage, ground turkey, or even ground chicken can all be used in place of the ground beef.
What to serve with this skillet lasagna
- 30 Minute Garlic Knots
- Simple green salad
More easy pasta recipes!
If you’ve tried this easy one-skillet lasagna recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Easy One-Skillet Lasagna
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup diced onion
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2-15 ounce cans diced tomatoes (undrained (I like to use the tomatoes with onion and garlic))
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 10 ounce package wide egg noodles*
- 4 ounces part skim ricotta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups shredded Italian cheese blend
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef over medium-low heat.
- Drain grease from ground beef, and return it to the skillet.
- Add the onion, and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and Italian seasoning, and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in tomatoes, tomato sauce, water, and egg noodles.
- Cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 10 minutes, or until noodles are al dente.
- Stir in ricotta, and add salt and pepper to taste.
- Remove from heat, and top with Italian cheese blend.
- Let the lasagna sit for about 5 minutes for cheese to melt. If I already have the oven on, I just pop the pan in (make sure it’s oven safe first, though) and let the cheese melt. It takes about 3-4 minutes.
- Top with fresh basil just before serving.