Cajun sausage and rice is an easy, one-skillet dinner recipe that’s so simple to make! This quick weeknight dinner is ready in under 30 minutes.
Cajun sausage and rice is a simple but delicious weeknight dinner. This easy, one-skillet recipe takes less than 30 minutes to make.
The recipe is pretty flexible, and there are ingredient notes and tips below to help you change up to the recipe to make it just the way you would like.
- Andouille sausage or kielbasa: Andouille sausage will give more traditional flavor and a bit of kick. Kielbasa can be used for a milder rice dish.
- Bell pepper: I’ve suggested colors of bell pepper to use, but you can use any combination of bell peppers that you would like.
- Onion: White, yellow, or sweet onions all work well in this recipe.
- Garlic: Feel free to add more or less garlic to taste.
- Tomato paste: The tomato paste gives the rice its color and adds flavor.
- Chicken broth: Chicken stock and regular chicken broth will also work.
- Instant rice: It’s important to use (white) instant rice so that it cooks in the time given.
- Cajun seasoning: The recipe calls for Cajun seasoning, but I’ve also used Creole seasoning when making this dish.
- Parsley: The parsley is a garnish, so you can omit it if you prefer, or you can use sliced green onions instead.
How to make Cajun sausage and rice
Step 1: Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
Step 2: Once the skillet is hot, add the oil and then the peppers, celery, and onion to the now-empty skillet. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
Step 3: Stir in the sausage and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
Step 4: Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
Step 5: Stir in the tomato paste and cook, stirring the entire time , for 1 minute.
Step 6: Add the chicken broth and stir until combined. Bring to a simmer, and stir in the rice.
Step 7: Cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat.
Step 8: Stir in the Cajun seasoning to taste.
Step 9: Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
Here are some tips to help you make the dish perfectly or to change it up to suit your tastes.
- Vegetarian: To make this recipe vegetarian, use vegetable broth in place of the chicken broth. Substitute 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil for the sausage, and add more of the vegetables to help make a more substantial dish.
- Heat: To add more heat to the recipe, stir in your favorite hot sauce, like Tabasco, to taste in step 9.
- Doubling: I often double the recipe so the we have leftovers because the recipe reheats well.
Store any leftover rice in an airtight container in the refrigerator. The rice will keep for up to 4 days when properly stored.
More skillet dinner recipes!
If you’ve tried this Cajun sausage and rice recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Cajun Sausage and Rice
- Large skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced yellow or green bell pepper
- 1 cup diced celery
- 1 cup diced white or yellow onion
- 12 ounces andouille sausage or kielbasa sliced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 ¾ cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ¼ cups instant white rice
- Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Once the skillet is hot, add the oil and then the bell peppers, celery, and onion. Sauté for 4-5 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in the sausage and cook until browned on both sides, about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds.
- Stir in the tomato paste, and cook, stirring the entire time, for 1 minute.
- Stir in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in the rice.
- Cover, and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat.
- Stir in the Cajun seasoning to taste.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Rice: It’s important to use white instant rice. Using brown instant rice or regular rice will alter the cooking times and may alter the amount of broth needed.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!