Lemon Coconut Cookies are soft lemon cookies that are made with coconut oil and shredded coconut for a refreshing one-bowl cookie recipe.
Originally published 1/10/14. Last updated 3/20/19.
I have something good for you today – this Lemon Coconut Cookie recipe.
I’ve been craving lemon. It happens every Winter when it’s dark and snowy.
So, I warmed up the house by making these cookies. They’re a pretty balanced blend of coconut and lemon.
These soft cookies are bright and citrus-y and a little tropical.
These lemon coconut cookies are also super easy to make! They are made in one bowl, and they don’t require any chilling before baking.
So, they’re a quick and easy cookie recipe.
How to make lemon coconut cookies
Begin by beating the egg, egg yolk, and sugar together until combined, about 1-2 minutes on medium.
Mix in the melted coconut oil and vanilla extract until combined.
Scrape down the sides of the bowl.
Mix in the lemon juice and lemon zest until combined.
Add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Stir in just until combined.
Don’t overmix or use too much flour, or the cookies won’t be soft and tender.
Stir in the coconut just until incorporated.
Scoop up the dough, and roll each scoop in powdered sugar.
Place the scoops of dough about 2 inches apart on the prepared baking sheet, and bake.
The cookies should be set at the edges but still look soft and a little underdone in the middles.
Can I freeze the cookies?
It’s best to freeze the dough if making the cookies ahead of time.
Don’t coat the dough in powdered sugar until just before baking.
Otherwise, the powdered sugar will melt into the cookies as they thaw.
How to store these cookies
These cookies can be stored, covered, at room temperature or in the fridge.
If stored at room temp, you may need to allow a little airflow to prevent the powdered sugar from melting into the cookies.
More lemon dessert recipes!
If you’ve tried this lemon coconut cookie recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Lemon Coconut Cookies
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil melted¹
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons freshly grated lemon zest
- 2 cups all-purpose flour²
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup shredded sweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mats.
- In a large bowl, beat together granulated sugar, egg, and egg yolk until well-combined.
- Add melted coconut oil and vanilla; stir well to combine.
- Stir in lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Stir in flour, corn starch, baking soda, and salt; mix until just incorporated.
- Add coconut, and stir until just combined.
- Using a medium cookie scoop (1 ½ tablespoons), scoop dough.
- Roll dough balls in powdered sugar, and then place dough balls on prepared baking sheets about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until middle is set and edges are set. Centers should look soft and underdone.
- If the coconut oil is already melted, use 1/2 cup.
- Be sure to either weigh or properly measure the flour by sifting, lightly spooning into the measuring cup, and then leveling.
- Nutrition values are estimates.