Hearty sausage breakfast casserole! This tasty breakfast casserole recipe makes a great breakfast or breakfast for dinner and includes directions to make it ahead (overnight) as well as different variations.
My family loves breakfast casseroles! They are easy to prep ahead and then pop in the oven when we’re ready to eat.
They also make a great option for those breakfast-for-dinner nights.
This sausage breakfast casserole doesn’t take long at all to put together. It can be served right away or chilled for later. It’s tasty and makes a hearty meal.
How to make sausage breakfast casserole
This breakfast casserole is simple to make! Just layer the thawed hashbrowns, cooked breakfast sauage, and cheese.
Then pour the egg mixture over the top and bake. It’s that easy!
Can this casserole be made ahead (overnight)?
Yes! To prep the casserole, make through step 7. Then, cover and chill until ready to bake. Be sure to uncover before baking.
You can chill the casserole for a couple hours or overnight. I recommend setting the casserole out while you preheat the oven to let it start to come up to temperature.
If you’ve made the casserole in a glass dish, you won’t want to put the cold dish into a hot oven.
How long will the sausage breakfast casserole stay good for?
The cooked casserole will keep in the fridge for up to 4 days.
How to reheat this breakfast casserole
This casserole works well when reheated in the microwave.
Can I use a different type of meat?
You can! Feel free to put your own spin on this casserole by using hot sausage, chorizo, or any other meat that you like.
Make it non-dairy
You can omit the cheese and use nondairy milk (i.e. almond or cashew) in place of the dairy milk in this recipe.
What to serve with this breakfast casserole
I serve this casserole topped with pico de gallo and fresh cilantro. I usually serve muffins alongside the casserole to round out the meal.
More breakfast casserole recipes!
If you’ve tried this sausage breakfast casserole recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Sausage Breakfast Casserole
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 30 ounce package frozen hash browns with onion and peppers thawed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 6 large eggs
- 2 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease a 9x13-inch baking dish. Set aside.
- Cook sausages in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring until sausage until it crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain well.
- Add hash browns in an even layer in prepared baking dish.
- Top with cooked sausage.
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup cheese over sausage.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, and pepper.
- Pour over cheese.
- Bake 30-45 minutes.
- Top with remaining 1/2 cup cheese, and return to oven for 3-5 minutes, or until cheese has melted.
- To make overnight, prepare through step 7. Cover, and chill overnight. In the morning, set casserole out while you preheat the oven. Uncover, and bake as directed. You may find that you need to add an extra 5-10 minutes of baking time depending on how cold the casserole is.
- Nutrition values are estimates.