Overnight Hash Brown Casserole recipe is a bacon, egg, hash brown breakfast casserole that you can prep ahead!
Can I just tell you what a fan of overnight breakfast casseroles I am? This one takes a little prep, but the results are totally worth it.
Plus, I’m so much more okay taking the time to cook veggies the night before when I have extra time than having to wake up super-duper early to put something yummy together.
And this Overnight Hash Brown Casserole is truly yummy. It’s loaded with all kinds of good stuff like veggies, hash browns, eggs, cheese, and bacon.
Do yourself a favor and use a quality thick-cut bacon.
I suggest using thick-cut bacon because it doesn’t shrivel up into a sad piece of bacon nothingness as it cooks.
I picked up applewood smoked bacon to use in this casserole. I like that you can taste all of that yummy smoky flavor in the bacon. No matter which type of bacon you choose, though, you can’t go wrong!
We like this Overnight Hash Brown Casserole so much that I also throw it together in the morning, and we have it along with muffins for “breakfast-for-dinner”, too.
And don’t toss the bacon grease! If you’re up for trying something new, one of my favorite cookie recipes – Bacon Molasses Cookies – uses bacon grease in the recipe.
Or, if you want to try a sausage breakfast casserole, I have you covered there, too!
More overnight casserole recipes!
- Overnight Apple Fritter Casserole
- Overnight Cinnamon Roll French Toast Casserole
- Overnight Mexican Breakfast Casserole
If you’ve tried this overnight hash brown casserole recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Overnight Hash Brown Casserole
- 1 lb . thick-cut bacon
- 1 T. butter
- 1 white onion diced
- 1 green pepper chopped
- 1 red pepper chopped
- 30 oz . package frozen hash browns thawed
- 1 tsp . salt
- 1 tsp . pepper
- 12 large eggs
- 1 1/2 c . milk
- 1 T. chipotle hot sauce
- 2 c . shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 Line a large rimmed sheet pan with parchment paper.
- Lay bacon on lined pan so that it's close but isn't touching.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or until tender-crisp. You don't want it to be crisp because it's going to bake longer when the casserole cooks.
- Let bacon cool on baking sheet.
- Remove to a paper towel-lined plate to absorb any extra grease.
- To make the casserole, heat butter in a large skillet.
- Add diced onion and peppers.
- Cook until onion is translucent and peppers have softened.
- Grease a deep 9x13-inch baking dish.
- Layer hashbrowns and cooked veggies.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Crumble cooked bacon over the top of the veggies.
- Top with 1 cup cheese.
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, and hot sauce.
- Pour over hash brown mixture.
- Top with remaining cup of cheddar cheese.
- Cover pan with aluminum foil, and place in the fridge overnight.
- In the morning, get casserole out of the fridge about 30 minutes before you want to bake it.
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Bake casserole, covered, for about 45 minutes.
- Uncover, and continue cooking for about 15 minutes longer, or until casserole is set and has baked through.
- I like to serve this with additional chipotle hot sauce or salsa.