Avgolemono Greek Lemon Chicken Soup is the perfect easy chicken dinner recipe! This soup is also great for when you're feeling under the weather.
We have been having some crazy spring weather! One day it's 75, and the next day, it's snowing. With the weather so all over the place, I made this Avgolemono Greek Lemon Chicken Soup because it's warm and comforting but bright and spring-y all at the same time.
This avgolemono soup is rich and creamy with a nice little bit of lemon juice to keep it from getting overly heavy. I like to make this soup when we aren't feeling good because it's a great pick-me-up soup.
It's also really easy to make. Just make sure that you whisk, whisk, whisk so that you don't end up with scrambled egg soup!
More soup recipes!
If you’ve tried this avgolemono Greek lemon chicken soup recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who've made my recipes! You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Avgolemono Greek Lemon Chicken Soup
- 6 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup orzo
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup cooked and shredded chicken breast
- Salt and pepper (to taste.)
- In a large pot, bring chicken stock to a boil.
- Add orzo, and cook until al dente.
- While the orzo is cooking, whisk together lemon juice and eggs.
- When orzo is al dente, ladle out 1 cup of the chicken broth.
- Slowly add about 1 tablespoon of broth at a time to the egg mixture, whisking constantly.
- Once the broth has been whisked into the egg mixture, slowly stream the egg mixture back into the pot of broth, whisking constantly.
- Add the shredded chicken broth, and simmer until soup has thickened, whisking constantly, about 3-5 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Lightly adapted from Food.com.