Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup is a flavorful soup made with spinach, Italian sausage, and tortellini. This simple crockpot soup is easy and delicious!
The slow cooker is the perfect place to make soup! Just add the ingredients and let them simmer until ready. Easy peasy!
This slow cooker tortellini soup is one of those easy recipes. It takes about 15 minutes of cooking and prep to get all of the ingredients in the crockpot, and then it’s just letting it cook.
Also, the soup keeps well, which is great because this recipe makes a big batch.
How To Make Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup
Brown the Italian sausage in a large skillet, breaking up as it cooks. Drain all but 1 tablespoon grease, and return sausage to the pan.
Add the onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring regularly, until the onion begins to soften.
Add the Italian sausage mixture to the slow cooker insert. You’ll need at least a 6-quart slow cooker. Add the crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine.
Cover and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours. Stir in the half-and-half, spinach, and tortellini.
Cook, covered, for an additional 20 minutes, or until the tortellini is cooked al dente. Serve topped with grated parmesan cheese, if you prefer.
Tips For Making Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup
- Spicy: If you like a bit of kick to your soup, use hot Italian sausage and add crushed red pepper along with the salt and pepper.
- You can use fresh cheese tortellini in place of the dry. However, if using fresh tortellini, adjust the cooking time accordingly.
- Chopped kale or other greens can be substituted for the fresh spinach.
- Dairy-free: You can omit the heavy cream or use a dairy-free substitute such as cashew cream.
What To Serve With This Soup
More Slow Cooker Recipes!
If you’ve tried this slow cooker tortellini soup recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup
- 2 pounds mild or spicy Italian sausage1
- 1 cup chopped yellow or white onion
- 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 3-28 ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 48 ounces reduced-sodium chicken broth2
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 12 ounce package dry cheese tortellini3
- 6 ounces fresh spinach
- 1/2 cup half-n-half4
- Parmesan cheese
- Add sausage to a large skillet, and cook over medium heat until browned, stirring regularly to break up.
- Drain all but 1 tablespoon grease, and return the sausage to skillet.
- Add onion, garlic, and Italian seasoning. Cook, stirring regularly, for about 3 minutes, or until onion begins to soften.
- Pour the Italian sausage mixture into slow cooker insert. You'll need at least a 6-quart.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth, salt, and pepper.
- Cover, and cook on LOW for 3-4 hours.
- Add spinach, half-and-half, and tortellini.
- Cover, and cook for 20 minutes, or until tortellini is al dente.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.
- Can use turkey Italian sausage.
- Can use chicken stock.
- If using fresh tortellini, adjust the cooking time accordinly.
- Can use cream or evaporated milk. If you'd like to keep it dairy-free, omit or use a sub like cashew cream.
- Nutrition values are estimates.