Simple slow cooker chili recipe that cooks all day in the slow cooker! This is the easiest, tastiest way to cook chili in a crockpot.
When the weather cools down, it’s hard to beat chili for an easy, filling meal. This chili is made in a crock pot so it’s super simple and super tasty!
This crockpot chili simmers all day in a slow cooker, so you can toss everything in, let it cook, and come back to a delicious, hearty dinner.
How to make slow cooker chili
It’s so easy to cook chili in a crock pot! Start by browning the ground beef.
Then sauté onion and garlic, and add all of the ingredients except for beans. Cook, and then stir in beans to warm through.
- Grated cheese
- Green onions
- Sour cream
What to serve with chili
Crackers, cornbread, and cornbread muffins are all great alongside chili. Cinnamon rolls are also really good with chili.
More chili recipes!
More slow cooker chili recipes!
If you’ve tried this slow cooker chili recipe, don’t forget to rate the recipe and leave me a comment below. I love to hear from people who’ve made my recipes!
You can SUBSCRIBE to receive my latest recipe newsletters or FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST for even more delicious food.
Slow Cooker Chili Recipe
- 1 ½ pounds lean ground beef
- 1 large white or yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic finely minced
- 2-14.5 ounce cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 15 ounce can crushed tomatoes
- 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons ancho chili powder depending on desired heat
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 2-15 ounce cans kidney beans drained and rinsed
- In a large skillet over medium heat, brown ground beef.
- Drain ground beef and return to pan.
- Add onions and garlic, and saute, stirring regularly, for 3 minutes.
- Add ground beef mixture to slow cooker along with remaining ingredients.
- Stir all of the ingredients except beans together.
- Cover with and cook on LOW heat for 5 – 6 hours.
- Stir in kidney beans and allow to heat through, about 10 minutes.
- Serve warm with desired toppings.
- Ground beef: I like to use 85% or 90% lean ground beef. Sometimes leaner ground beef can dry out in the slow cooker.
- Tomatoes with chilies: Ro-Tel will also work.
- Chili powder: I like the smokiness of ancho chile powder, but regular chili powder will work, too.
- Cocoa powder: The cocoa powder gives the chili an earthiness. Feel free to omit it if you prefer.
- Beans: Feel free to substitute a can of black beans for the kidney beans if you prefer.
- Nutrition values are estimates.
Did You Make This Recipe?
Share it with me on Instagram @i_heart_eating and follow on Youtube @katedean and Pinterest @katedean for more!
Originally posted 7/30/18. Updated with additional tips and photos 9/18/21.
Love this recipe?
Share your thoughts below and let’s chat! Make sure to connect with me on your favorite social platform below and show me what you made!
Comments & Reviews
Can’t wait to try this! I make your bbq chili and love it.
Thank you! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do! =)
I made this chili, it was really good! I added more chili powder to make it hotter, everyone liked it. Thanks!
Good! I’m glad you liked it. Thank you for coming back to comment! =)